360 HD-DVD add-on work for my setup? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-09-2007, 12:09 PM
gspin2k1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 177
Default 360 HD-DVD add-on work for my setup?

I'm thinking about buying an X-Box 360 (after all the Halo craze)...and I figured since the new X-Box 360s have HDMI on them now, I might as well save myself some space and less connections to my receiver and tv and return my current HD-A2 (i bought it like two weeks ago), and buy the add-on HD-DVD player for less. Here are my concerns:

a) Will the add-on player be able to output 1080p video (my tv is only 1080i...but I may upgrade)
b) will I be able to use the HDMI cable for video, and either optical or digital coax cable for audio only? (my receiver does not have HDMI input/output)
c) will there be a big sound/video difference between the xbox 360 add-on player bs. the HD-A2 or -A20 (whichever the cheapest 1080p one is). I currently do not have a surround sound receiver that plays TrueHD. I think it only outputs dolby digital, pro-logic, and DTS.

I look forward to anyone's responses. Thank You.

~G
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspin2k1 View Post
I'm thinking about buying an X-Box 360 (after all the Halo craze)...and I figured since the new X-Box 360s have HDMI on them now, I might as well save myself some space and less connections to my receiver and tv and return my current HD-A2 (i bought it like two weeks ago), and buy the add-on HD-DVD player for less. Here are my concerns:

a) Will the add-on player be able to output 1080p video (my tv is only 1080i...but I may upgrade)
b) will I be able to use the HDMI cable for video, and either optical or digital coax cable for audio only? (my receiver does not have HDMI input/output)
c) will there be a big sound/video difference between the xbox 360 add-on player bs. the HD-A2 or -A20 (whichever the cheapest 1080p one is). I currently do not have a surround sound receiver that plays TrueHD. I think it only outputs dolby digital, pro-logic, and DTS.

I look forward to anyone's responses. Thank You.

~G
a) its not "true 1080p". The hd dvd player is running through a usb cord to the 360, then the 360's hdmi to the tv. a stand alone player 1080p will look better.
b) HDMI can handle both audio/video. unless you are running through a receiver that doesn't.. mh. You should be able to run hdmi from 360 to receiver then run coax cable for audio only.. the sound won't be anywhere near as good as if you had an hdmi receiver though..
c) the cheapest 1080p model in stores I believe is the 399 model I own. the sound quality will be better on a stand alone player obviously, running a usb cable downgrades the quality slightly (more so). its hard to explain.

Id stick with the standalone or get a 1080p model to be honest. and if you are going to get a 360, wait til the end of the month so you get forza/marvel for free with the xbox. Place wise to get it at is a toss up, bb warranty rocks, but CC you get a free 1 year subscription to their game savers club, 10 percent off ALL pc / video games /guides/pre orders, and it adds up.. its normally 20 bucks. their warranty is also pretty good.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-2007, 03:07 PM
limelight_df's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 336
Default

As stated above, definately wait for the 2 free games offer as well. I have the 360 add and I've had no issues with sound or video. Does its job GREAT for its price as my TV only does 1080i. For the price, + the free amount of movies that you get, you just cant go wrong
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Dragon View Post
a) its not "true 1080p". The hd dvd player is running through a usb cord to the 360, then the 360's hdmi to the tv.
How do you figure this? As far as I know the speed of USB 2.0 is around 400 Mbps. I'm not sure of the maximum bit rate for 1080p but I'm sure its under 400 Mbps. I don't think Microsoft could be calling it true 1080p if it really wasn't. It's the audio where the 360 add on suffers.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escorpio View Post
How do you figure this? As far as I know the speed of USB 2.0 is around 400 Mbps. I'm not sure of the maximum bit rate for 1080p but I'm sure its under 400 Mbps. I don't think Microsoft could be calling it true 1080p if it really wasn't. It's the audio where the 360 add on suffers.
Compare the 360 add on to the latest HD model that's coming out, or hell do the 1080p model that's already out.

Difference in Picture. A usb cable to another source to another source does not produce as clear of an image as an hdmi source to the television. @[email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-2007, 08:20 AM
ccphilly1984's Avatar
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escorpio View Post
How do you figure this? As far as I know the speed of USB 2.0 is around 400 Mbps. I'm not sure of the maximum bit rate for 1080p but I'm sure its under 400 Mbps. I don't think Microsoft could be calling it true 1080p if it really wasn't. It's the audio where the 360 add on suffers.
don't be alarmed escorpio, some people don't think before they speak... or they listen to the guy at best buy and/or sony fanboy. xbox 360 hd dvd is true 1080p... some guy at best buy tried telling me that bullcrap before with the usb.

I like the 360 add on because it has fast loading times, but if i get a better reciever (one that takes hdmi or component), i will get a standalone player so i can get dd+ or dolby truehd... if ur reciever only takes optical or coax, u shouldn't have a problem. I'm pissed how delicate the 360 drive it. some movies i have to tilt the player to get them to work. i fuess thats what happens when u carry a player between two houses and it gets bumped around by a loony driver.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2007, 08:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Dragon View Post
Compare the 360 add on to the latest HD model that's coming out, or hell do the 1080p model that's already out.

Difference in Picture. A usb cable to another source to another source does not produce as clear of an image as an hdmi source to the television. @[email protected]
The HD DVD drive being connected with a USB cable has absolutely nothing to do with picture quality. The Toshiba A1 had an internal IDE DVD-ROM drive, if you open up the HD DVD add-on it is a IDE DVD-ROM drive. None of the video decoding is getting done in the add-on, it is only reading the data from the disc at up to 60Mbps (2x HD DVD-ROM speed) which is well below the max of USB2 at 480Mbps. The 360 is doing all of the video and audio decoding and it is the quality of the decoding and the connections between the player and your screen/receiver that determine the quality.

The main problem with the 360 is that you can't get multichannel lossless audio from the player to your receiver. If you use HDMI you are limited to lossless stereo or lossy audio (DTS, DD or WMA Pro) and these same audio options are available on SPDIF
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandarroch View Post
If you use HDMI you are limited to lossless stereo or lossy audio (DTS, DD or WMA Pro) and these same audio options are available on SPDIF
I'm not sure if the new Premiums with HDMI are different (I doubt it), but the Elite cannot pass anything but 2ch PCM through HDMI. No DD or DTS. You need to use the optical cable for those.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Das Koopa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironorr View Post
I'm not sure if the new Premiums with HDMI are different (I doubt it), but the Elite cannot pass anything but 2ch PCM through HDMI. No DD or DTS. You need to use the optical cable for those.
I was waiting for someone to post this. As long as you have the hdmi running your video, you will be fine, no loss. That usb theroy is major BS and with the optical cable running to a good reciever youll have just as good as sound as you can from any other optical fedding source. You can't belive the crap that comes out of the sales peoples mouths 98% of them dont have a clue what there talking about
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
Default

I bought the HD DVD add-on for my pc and the audio runs through my soundcard.
It's a good player for what it does, wanted something cheap that could make use of my 24" hdcp monitor and output in 1080p.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will this setup work? fishpillow Home Theater Gear 17 01-23-2009 03:09 PM
xbox 360 add on work on projectors?? gtm HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 5 12-07-2007 04:57 PM
Will the US HDDVD Add-on work on a UK 360?? neo-chimera HD DVD and Video Game Consoles 3 10-24-2007 05:18 AM
will pianist hd dvd work in 360 add on? RAMBOJVR HD DVD Software General Discussion 5 09-04-2007 12:26 AM
Will 360 HD DVD add on work with just Live update? bone crusher HD DVD and Video Game Consoles 2 07-30-2007 02:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off