My XA2 rattles at me! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM

Default My XA2 rattles at me!

For no reason that I can ascertain, my HD-XA2 has just started rattling whenever there is a disc spinning in the drive, be it CD, SD or HD; until now I've not noticed any operational sound from it. So strange, it actually started during the middle of playing an episode of 30 Rock!

I haven't moved from its spot in about four months and I can't recognise any environmental changes that might have caused it. Do these drives have a tendency to cock up after a time? I've googled a bit but I can't find many references to such problems, presumably meaning that they are few and far between. Which is good... except for me!

I'm in the UK but bought a US model since I buy mostly R1 discs, so it would be terribly expensive to ship it back to get it replaced (assuming the people I bought it from will accept that). If I was to take the case off, is the disc drive a sealed unit or it is open? With a couple of DVD players I've owned that picked up similar rattles, opening up the case allowed me to adjust the open drive itself a little and solve the rattle. However, those were cheap players, I'm more than a bit hesitant to try that with a nice expensive XA2.