New to HD DVD - advice needed please - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-03-2007, 03:25 AM

Smile New to HD DVD - advice needed please

Hi guys!

I'm just about to get a Toshiba XE1 HD-DVD player for my birthday (a friend works at Toshiba and can get a very healthy discount) and I wondered if anyone had any recceomendations or warnings about this unit.

Also, I'm a little confused about how the region coding will affect me.

I'm not sure if I wont be able to play my old R1 DVDs and I'm not sure if I buy an HD-DVD from Amazon.com if it will play in my Toshiba.

I was a supporter of Blu-ray but Microsoft seem intent on prolonging the format war with their various payments to the studios, and Universal own some of my favourite films. Also, with the release of the new remastered Star Trek episodes on HD-DVD only, that kind of forced me into getting a HD-DVD player so I'm covered no matter who wins the format war.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:31 AM

I should probably mention I live in the UK.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 AM

Toonloon, I take it you live in Newcastle?!!

You will have no problem playing HD DVD discs from Amazon.com. HD is region free. As of yet I haven't read of anyone finding the codes to unlock region coding for SD DVD's. So I don't think you will have much luck playing region 1 in a region 2 player. Sorry. Enjoy the HD experience !!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:39 AM

Yes, I am from the People's Independent Republic of Geordieland, but I live in London now.

I had a feeling that HD-DVD was region free, but I didn't want to risk it until I knew for definite.

I just ordered my first HD-DVDs from dvd.co.uk

I bought "The Thing" and "300" for a total of 31.

I was appaulled at how expensive that Star Trek set was I mentioned. 119. But if you go on Amazon.com its $129!!

It seems like quite a large set, but I can't imagine the postage will make it close to 120.

Shame that the Toshiba wont play my old R1s. The playstation wont either.

Is the XE1 a good player?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:13 AM

Uh oh! I've made a mistake.

We can't afford the XE1.

What do you guys think of the HD-E1?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 AM

Toonloon,

Why don't you just get an American HD DVD player like the A30 or XA3 (brand new 3rd generation players)? This way you can play all those R1 standard dvds. I know you probably have other dvds that in turn will not play in it, but you probably have an existing dvd player that you can keep for those.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 AM

Thanks Jared. Actually, I have waaaaaaay more R2 dvds than R1 so it makes sense to stay with a UK player.

Unless of course this 3rd generation thing is that important, but I'm afraid I don't know anything about that. Can you explain what that is please?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonloon View Post
I was appaulled at how expensive that Star Trek set was I mentioned. 119. But if you go on Amazon.com its $129!!

It seems like quite a large set, but I can't imagine the postage will make it close to 120.
I've bought most of my HD DVDs from movietyme. Star Trek season 1 is 99.99 delivered
Old 10-03-2007, 10:47 AM

Amazon could still be cheaper at the current exchange rate.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonloon View Post
Thanks Jared. Actually, I have waaaaaaay more R2 dvds than R1 so it makes sense to stay with a UK player.

Unless of course this 3rd generation thing is that important, but I'm afraid I don't know anything about that. Can you explain what that is please?
Well I wouldn't say it's essential. All it refers to is the new round of Toshiba HD DVD players. They are releasing their third round of models, hence 3rd generation. There are improvements to be sure, but many people likely feel that the XA2 of the 2nd generation is actually superior to the newer XA3, likely due to the inclusion of a better chip for upconverting standard dvds. Anyway, I figured that you had more R2 dvds than R1, but was suggesting that you could keep whatever existing machine you currently own to keep playing those... and since HD DVD is region free, you could use your new U.S. HD DVD player to play whatever European HD DVDs you wind up getting.