HD DVD Problems - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-18-2006, 11:25 PM

Default HD DVD Problems

Has anyone had problems with HD DVDs rented from Netflix. I recently rented Backdraft and Traffic, and my player (HD-A1) won't recognize the HD DVDs. I either get a "No Disc" or "Error" or the following error code "0x4094C504" which from what I can tell is a Video Controller Error. Has anyone lese had these problems? I have already updated to the 2.0 firmware
Old 10-22-2006, 06:43 AM

Have you checked the discs themselves to make sure they are not scratched or have any fingerprints on them. Also they could be just lemon discs.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:28 PM

I get at least four HD movies per week from Netflix. Surpringly I have had few problems. There have been no cases where it could not read a disc, the only problems are occasional playback stutters, and even this is not that common.

However, I almost always clean the discs before watching them, just to minimize any problems.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:04 PM

I have been renting HD-DVD discs from both Netflix and Blockbuster. Before firmware 2.0 the badly scratched discs would lock up my A1 player or stutter play with loss of sync. The older titles can be horribly scratched in which case I'll request a replacement, with the newer titles (unless they've been around the block several times) I don't have any problems.

This issue reminds of the 2 year old TDK story about a protective layer being put on DVD's (and potentially high defintion discs) to ward off scratches:

http://news.com.com/Try+scratching+t...3-5455621.html

It was supposed to be a 'godsend' for the rental companies like Netflix but at the time HD-DVD proponent NEC claimed the protective (and expensive) layer wasn't necessary.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:53 PM

Default HD-DVD'S from netflix.

I have had a problem with a few from netflix. Most of them are ok though. If it does lock up though remember where you left off and put the disk at the next chaper in the scene selection.
Hope this helps.
Michelle.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLORADOHDMAN View Post
I Had The Same Problem With Blockbuster With Rumor Has It. My Disc Had A Scratch. Send Yours Back And Try Another One. Just Make Sure You Look For Scratches. I Sent Mine Back And Blockbuster Sent Me Back The Exact Same Disc. I Could Tell By Where The Scratch Was So I Finaly Sent Email To Them To Complain And They Sent Me What Appeared To Be A Brand New Copy. You Are Paying For Netflix So If Something Doesnt Work Send It Back And Get Another.
COLORADOHDMAN,

You have repeatedly been told not to post like this! If you do not edit this post by 5pm Pacific Standard Time (so there is no question about which time zone)... I will delete it, and you will be punished.

Check your PMs if you don't think you have been warned. They are in the area where you would sign in at. DO NOT CAPITALIZE THE FIRST LETTER OF EVERY WORD!

*This is being posted in case he does not know how to check his PMs*