HD DVD players should have Wireless internet connection - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-29-2007, 03:42 PM

Lightbulb HD DVD players should have Wireless internet connection

Overall I am very happy with my HD DVD player but am not a real fan of the ethernet connection. I havent even been able to get it to work. I did firmware updates through burning a CD from my pc. Toshiba should really make a wireless internet adaptor on the players. The ethernet connection is no where near my room i have to run a 50 foot cable through the house to hook it up. Not everyone has their cable modem right next to their TV.

They need to step up the online connectivity to wireless if they really wanna blow Blue Ray out of the water althought I think they already have with the interactive menus, the cheaper price for players and the firmware updates...

Hopefully with the next gen players in a year or so they will wise up and apply this. For example having XBOX live wireless is amazing downloading movies game, trailers, demos. Granted I had to buy a wireless adaptor seperate but its worth it especially for the game play and doesnt require a freaking ethernet cord to run through my house to use it!

if they are going to offer downloadable content such as Universalhighdef.com then make it more appealing and convenient for the consumer.

Again I have no qualms watchin movies with my player love me some HD DVD movie watcing. I really appreciate being able to get firmware updates through my pc its a nice work around and im very pleased. But regarding getting the most out of my player the downloadable content is icing on the cake and not high priority but a wireless connector would make a world of difference and ease for the consumer. Allowing the consumer to really take advantage of all the Toshiba HD DVD player has to offer without confusion and headache..
Old 09-29-2007, 05:38 PM

I already had an Apple Airport Express behind my TV stand (acting as a WiFi relay to my Mac Mini HTPC). A short ethernet cable from the Toshiba XA2 to the Airport Express was all that I needed to get my XA2 online. Works perfectly and didn't cost me a dime (already had the ethernet cable too).

Why does Toshiba have to offer a Wireless adapter when you can use a product that is already available?

Mark
Old 09-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Banned

Simply because wireless is the future and if you're making a high in product for only elitist in the first place you might as well make it as elite as possable.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:15 AM

I dont necessarily mean a wireless adaptor for the players although for the older gen models like mine would be nice, but future models have the wifi built in like cell phones and lap tops in future gen models..

Ethernet is kind of an old technology when wireless is the current bell and whistle for most electronics now adays. its like showcasing your car has a 6 disc changer when everyone has an ipod and would prefer a auxiliary jack in their car to use their Ipod not the CD player...
Old 09-30-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numnuts77 View Post
Ethernet is kind of an old technology
I dont even know where to begin. Lets see ethernet has approved 10gb speeds and is currently in use in data centers. From a consumer stand point you can buy 1gb switches. And what does wireless offer. From an approved standard you have 802.11g which is 54mbs. 802.11n is at a minimum 100mbs but when finalized maybe 200mbs. Still nowhere close to the speed given by ethernet. Not to mention the further away from the access point the slower your speed. In addition if any other device is on the network then you start sharing that same bandwidth. Next thing you know you got a connection no better than 10mb. And lets not get started on the whole security aspect of it.

End of day wireless will never match hard wired ethernet and should only be used out of convience.

Oh well guess I am glad I got that old technology wired throughout my house that this is not an issue for me.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:25 PM

I Agree! If Ps3 And Wii Are Capable Of Lan Wi-fi, Then I Say Do It For The Hd Dvd Players And Blu Ray Players!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:38 PM

I am probably the least computer literate man on the site. But I bought a product from CC awhile back(maybe 2 months or so). This device plugs from your modem via ethernet cable to box you plug in a wall outlet. You then plug a second box in another outlet and via ethernet cable plug into your device. It blew my little brain when I found this thing. I don't have it near me at this moment-it's in the basement-2 stories from my modem. It works like a champ-ALL my HD-DVD updates and my PS3's(wifi was too far to get a signal). Just thought I'd pass it on-BTW it was only 100 bucks.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:43 AM

Sonny you are using POE, power over ethernet.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM

If you can't get the wired connection to work properly what are the chances of you getting a wireless connection to work properly? I've had no problem getting my HD DVD players working over my network. All I had to do was plug it in and it had connectivity. Then I just assign a specific IP address in my router accoring to the MAC address of the HD DVD player. That way I know exactly what Ip address my 23 devices have on my gigabit network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numnuts77 View Post
Overall I am very happy with my HD DVD player but am not a real fan of the ethernet connection. I havent even been able to get it to work. I did firmware updates through burning a CD from my pc. Toshiba should really make a wireless internet adaptor on the players. The ethernet connection is no where near my room i have to run a 50 foot cable through the house to hook it up. Not everyone has their cable modem right next to their TV.

They need to step up the online connectivity to wireless if they really wanna blow Blue Ray out of the water althought I think they already have with the interactive menus, the cheaper price for players and the firmware updates...

Hopefully with the next gen players in a year or so they will wise up and apply this. For example having XBOX live wireless is amazing downloading movies game, trailers, demos. Granted I had to buy a wireless adaptor seperate but its worth it especially for the game play and doesnt require a freaking ethernet cord to run through my house to use it!

if they are going to offer downloadable content such as Universalhighdef.com then make it more appealing and convenient for the consumer.

Again I have no qualms watchin movies with my player love me some HD DVD movie watcing. I really appreciate being able to get firmware updates through my pc its a nice work around and im very pleased. But regarding getting the most out of my player the downloadable content is icing on the cake and not high priority but a wireless connector would make a world of difference and ease for the consumer. Allowing the consumer to really take advantage of all the Toshiba HD DVD player has to offer without confusion and headache..
Old 10-01-2007, 12:13 PM

This has been a great product for me. Similar to the D-Link device linked by someone earlier, but with 4 ethernet ports so you can hook up multiple items. I use mine for my HDXA1, Dish Vip722, Yamaha RXV2700 receiver with internet radio, and Slingbox. Once you configure the Buffalo piece, all the other products act as though they are hard wired, so no extra configuration is needed.