Power Router Output - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-22-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Power Router Output

Hey I was told by a few sales associates at Best Buys around my area that if you use a certain power distribution router, you can get the best picture out of your TV from your HD-DVD player or Blu-Ray player cuz your players and TV's need a certain amount of power to take away some graininess. If that's true, let me know guys. Reason why I felt he was jerking my chain was because those distribution routers were expensive. They were like 90 to 250 dollars each. Ya know which ones I'm talkin about. The ones with the different colors for each little outlet.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:23 PM

The idea is that power that is out of phase with or has a slightly different frequency from the rest of your equipment can cause ground loops, which leads to distortion and lessened signal quality. These devices aim to fix that by making sure all the input power signals have the same frequency and phase.

I don't think they're necessary. The device will do what it advertises, but if you live in a fairly new home in a sub/urban area, the power you receive should be pretty good. Anything related to cables is high profit margin for the store (sometimes over 50% markup, from what I hear), and it's an easy sales pitch. "You can buy all the nice equipment you want, but if you use poor cables, then it's all for naught," which capitalizes on the "quality first" buyer's mentality.

I have lived in a place where the power wasn't good. I had a UPS on my computer, and the thing was ALWAYS boosting the voltage to my computer because of the poor wiring. When the UPS died, the computer still worked fine.