360 Add-On vs. Stand Alone - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-21-2007, 04:19 PM

Default 360 Add-On vs. Stand Alone

Is there much of a difference between the XBOX 360 HD DVD player and a good Toshiba player? or any other HD DVD player?

There is a significant price difference so I was curious about what quality differences there might be. Video, sound etc.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 PM

Yeah, I didn't want to start a new thread over this question, too.

I'm thinking of selling my A2 and Buying a 360+Add On and I'm worried that there will be a signifigant drop in AQ and some in PQ....or, are my fears unfounded?

Also, are the 20gig and Elites with an HDMI output capable of 1080p/i ?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:35 PM

The A20, A30, XA2, A35 all have slightly better picture and are capable of DD+ and Dolby Digital True-HD, I just sold my add-on. It was a great player with no problems to speak of I just have an obsession with having the best. If you cant get high def sound then the add-on is great, if you can or if you will get and hdmi receiver i would get a stand alone.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
Is there much of a difference between the XBOX 360 HD DVD player and a good Toshiba player? or any other HD DVD player?

There is a significant price difference so I was curious about what quality differences there might be. Video, sound etc.

Thanks
PQ on my add on is amazing. My tv only has component connectins and does 1080i. Regardless I love the way movies look on my 46inch sony. That being said, I would go with a standalone if I were you. The reason why is that the 360 is way loud when it is playing the movies. After a while you get used to it but it still annoyes the crap out me. Except for that I would have to say the add on is a great bargain price wise, and with the free movies they are practilly giving it to you.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:29 AM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

360 addon sucks. short warranty and mine has trouble reading some discs... (won't read knocked up which pisses me off to no end.) i'm going for a standlone... maybe mine was defective and i should go for the 5 free movie deal thing and try for another.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:46 AM

I agree with most others here that the 360 add on is great if you don't have a high end receiver. I think the PQ from the add on is great, but I've never seen the PQ from a standalone.

The Elite does do 1080P, and, in my opinion, it looks much better than the component 1080i connection. It might just be my TV, but I much prefer watching stuff at 1080P over HDMI. The black levels just look so much better over HDMI.

I'd upgrade to a standalone, but I'm using my free $ to upgrade my speakers first.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:53 AM

I had the add-on to start and then sold it and bought the a2. The add on was great but I have an onkyo 604 and I wanted lossless audio. I also wanted my player to upvonvert and wasnt that impressed with the add on upconversion through vga. I cant really tell a difference in pq between the two to be honest. So I would say it all depends on what you really want to get out of your player. If you want great pq, good price, and quick load times then the add on is the right choice. If you want great pq, lossless audio, and nice upconversion than the stand alone is a good choice.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:55 PM

I bought the 360 add-on first but recently upgraded to the HD-XA2. I'll probably hold on to the add-on for future use in another room. I was very happy with the PQ of the add-on. I bought the XA2 because of the upconversion & 5.1 analog for TrueHD. I've love my XA2 and I'm very happy with my purchase.

Once Microsoft released the update that fixed the dynamic range problem the AQ was good w/ the 360. If you don't have very high end audio equipment I doubt you would notice a huge difference between the two. It did kind of suck before that update though.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:35 PM

I'm selling my add-on to one of my friends and including a movie or two of his choice (excluding box sets and imports).

I figure it'd be nice to pass the HD DVD experience on at a low price.