Xbox 360 to get new HD DVD drive - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-20-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Xbox 360 to get new HD DVD drive

Xbox 360 to get new HD DVD drive

Microsoft reaffirms commitment in high definition war

Emil Larsen, Personal Computer World 20 Sep 2007

Microsoft will launch an updated HD DVD drive for the Xbox 360 in 2008, it said at its 25th hardware anniversary in London today.

Mark Bennett, Microsoft's European business development director for HD DVD, demonstrated the technology's advanced interactive features and pointed out that Paramount, Universal Studios and many Warner Brothers high definition titles are exclusive to HD DVD.

"The interactive features actually work on HD DVD whereas Blu-ray titles are six to nine months away from getting features that actually work," Bennett said, referring to Blu-ray's current inability to do picture in picture videos.

Bennett also said "there are more plans to incorporate HD DVD into the PC platform in the future."

The original Xbox360 HD DVD drive, which launched in November 2006, was fully compatible with Windows PCs and proved a hit for being the cheapest high definition drive on sale.

The event, which was celebrating Microsoft's 25th anniversary of making computer hardware, saw the software giant revive its PC gaming peripherals with a new sidewinder mouse and new ergonomic keyboards and mice.

There were also multi-coloured Xbox360 controllers and it said it would sell high definition download movie rentals over its Live service before Christmas in the UK one of the first such services to hit these isles. Pricing hasn't been announced yet, but it demonstrated a 720p movie measuring 4GB costing 480 credits, which equates to about 4.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:34 PM

What could they do to the drive other than integrate it into the 360 itself? Maybe release a black version...? Or make it thinner?

Glad to hear video marketplace will finally reach the UK this year. It's been a long, long wait. That said, I fully expect the selection of moves to be a tiny fraction of the line-up the US has.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
What could they do to the drive other than integrate it into the 360 itself? Maybe release a black version...? Or make it thinner?
or fully support Audio output

If they combine the 2 into 1 machine and its black or if they release a slim black addon, I will buy it
Old 09-20-2007, 04:49 PM

does this not suck a little though?!

after tempting me to get a new xbox 360 with HDMI or an Elite they now want me to buy a new HD DVD drive too.... the cheek
Old 09-20-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithKoen View Post
does this not suck a little though?!

after tempting me to get a new xbox 360 with HDMI or an Elite they now want me to buy a new HD DVD drive too.... the cheek
who says they want you to buy a new one? Your current one works just fine, doesn't it ?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
who says they want you to buy a new one? Your current one works just fine, doesn't it ?
yeah, but im a sucker for new stuff and Microsoft has a strange way of pressing my spending buttons
Old 09-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned

same here man, I been thinking about buying another one anyway just because of the free movies, thought about giving it away as a gift to my best friend and then keeping the movies haha.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
same here man, I been thinking about buying another one anyway just because of the free movies, thought about giving it away as a gift to my best friend and then keeping the movies haha.
dude thats savvy shopping!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:47 PM

I have verified with high level MS sources that this story is based on a misquote, and there is NO new HD DVD drive coming. The current drive is the drive that will be supported for the foreseeable future.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_G View Post
I have verified with high level MS sources that this story is based on a misquote, and there is NO new HD DVD drive coming. The current drive is the drive that will be supported for the foreseeable future.
good for my wallet, bad for my inner geek! hes furious right now, making a face similar to