The new Toshiba XA2 is Out! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-11-2007, 02:47 PM

Default The new Toshiba XA2 is Out!

I'm a newbie here,so far, first post ever. (but not to Blu-ray or HD DVD ,I do 'sport' both formats.)

Has anyone gotten the new Toshiba HD DVD XA2 player yet? If so, what do you think of it?

I just got an email from J&R.com notifying me that they have just shipped my $799.99 order.

Last edited by beweekly; 01-11-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Will move to HD-DVD Hardware.

Let us know your thoughts - I'm hoping to get the European version!
Old 01-14-2007, 08:28 PM

I have the 360 to tide me over until I purchase an XA2 and a new HDMI capable receiver. Everyone in the HD forums at AVS is going nuts over the XA2 for both it's SD and HD quality. HQV is hot!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Any reviews up yet?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beweekly View Post
I'm a newbie here,so far, first post ever. (but not to Blu-ray or HD DVD ,I do 'sport' both formats.)

Has anyone gotten the new Toshiba HD DVD XA2 player yet? If so, what do you think of it?

I just got an email from J&R.com notifying me that they have just shipped my $799.99 order.
Be sure to report back one you have used it a few times.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:41 AM

I sure will spaceace and........
Thanks Guys, for the come back!

The next post I make will be on the new Toshiba HD DVD XA2, I hope.

It's due in tomorrow. I do have the excellent A2 and I'm very,very happy with the beautiful PQ, load time, upconversion and sleek body design of this unit. The A2 is a 1080i machine which is a lot faster than the pre-A1/XA1 before the Toshiba firmware update disc is applied. But if you install the update, the A1 and the XA1 is on par with the A2 in terms of load time(5-15 sec.) and PQ also. Even the firmware updated Samsung BD-P1000 blu-ray player is about just as fast with a excellent picture too.

Last edited by beweekly; 01-16-2007 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 PM

Default The Review of my New TOSHIBA XA2

Here is my promised brief thoughts on the new XA2.
First, for now, I'll start with what's important to me: PQ-PICTURE QUALITY.

The 1080p picture quality of the XA2 is superb on my Samsung 52" LCD. I compared it to the A2 that was also hooked to the same tv and it was no contest. The 1080p showed a definite difference in PQ over the 1080i of the A2 on all upconverted disc I tried, which is to expected, right? The A2 shows a beautiful picture on all the HD DVD movies I played, except for a few were just 'ok' because of the quality of compression used on the disc.(mpeg2 vs.VC-1,H.264,etc.) and not because of the player. Listen, the A2 is great on it's own for a 1080i machine,no question. And You can't go wrong with it, if your tv is 1368x768 resolution like my Dell 50" plasma. At lease on my stuff the A2 PQ looks on par or better than the XBOX 360 HD DVD. But how it compares to the firmware updated Samsung BD-P1000 blu-ray player, I'll save those thoughts for the Blu-ray Forum Section. But the updated Samsung BD-P1000 player ALSO 'kicks butt' now!

So now, the A2's 'big brother has come to town' and it too is 'kicking ass'! In the area of picture quality on regular DVD or HD DVD, the XA2 simply shines! Man,what a machine! The colors, the details, the blacks(shadows), the 3D look on some shots are amazing. The load time of the player is exactly 30sec from the power up to the onscreen HD DVD logos, so it's slower than a regular dvd player and normal for the Toshiba line of HD units.

Lastly, there's much more to say if you have any questions about it. Or you can read the reviews from others, now that the Toshiba HD DVD XA2 is here and I'm glad I got it from J&R.COM for $799.

beweekly
Old 01-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Nice review beweekly. Have you got any comment to the reported issues of dropping frames, HDMI issues and analogue bass issues?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:21 PM

NONE! no problems, so far, Tejstar .

(Sorry for the long reply)

But then again I haven't had time to view all the HD DVD movies I have. And I have quite a few. The ones I have seen are perfect. No frame drops,no video stalls or onscreen momentary large visible pixelation. So far the XA2 PQ is outstandingly consistent on the HD DVD movies I've played. There has been no problems with the hdmi connection, it's smooth, even though it's not a direct connection to my hdtv but is running through a MONOPRICE.COM 5 input,1 output HDMI Switcher.

The Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD sound is one of the best part of the A2/XA2. When a HD DVD disc has this Dolby True HD encoded the difference from Dolby Digital 5.1 is evident. No contest! I had no bass issues, the A2/XA2 makes my SW(woofer) ROCKS! Really, the Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD 5.1 sound is far better than regular dvd when it's encoded on the hd dvd movie disc.

Tejstar, my thing is upconversion first, if this Toshiba XA2 make my DVD collection look even remotely close to hi-def then I'm happy. And it does, the movie I test-viewed was "KING KONG DELUXE EXTENDED EDITION" regular dvd and the HD DVD version of the same movie that came with the XBOX HD DVD add on.

The XBOX HD DVD and the A2 PQ was very nice.

The XBOX 360 add-on doesn't have hdmi but hd vga, which can display computer resolutions beyond 1080 graphics, if your hdtv can display it, as you know. The 360 add-on picture and the 1080i A2 picture was beautiful on the King Kong dvd. These comparisons were viewed on my DELL 1080i plasma connection, which has the A2, 360 add-on and the Samsung blu-ray player connected(upstairs).

The same comparison test was done downstairs with the Samsung 52" LCD, BUT the XA2 was set to 1080p and it was 'sweet'. What a difference! Great picture.The PQ just "popped" off the screen. As I said before the details of the picture was fanastic! And this was coming from a regular dvd!! Was it the 1080p of the XA2 or the 1080p of my new Samsung hdtv? Maybe it's both, huh? Whatever! The fact is, so far the XA2's PQ is the best thing in the house! But the same is true when I played the regular King Kong disc on my blu-ray player thru the 52" LCD hdtv, a beautiful picture! I am convinced(on some disc)that 1080p is superior over 1080i, if you've seen the two side by side.

Again I'm sorry for the long reply, I'll have to learn to condence down. I hope this review helps others decide about the Toshiba HD DVD XA2. A FANASTIC machine.

beweekly

Last edited by beweekly; 01-22-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:57 PM

beweekly, excellent reviews. I am very glad to hear good things about tis player. I am not ready to upgrade to new new hd player yet, but htis is surely a front runner.

Thanks again. Be sure to keep this post updated as new things arise.