Just ordered my XA2... can someone tell me I made the right choice? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-09-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Just ordered my XA2... can someone tell me I made the right choice?

I'm feeling a bit of buyer's remorse over buying the XA2 about 2 1/2 minutes ago. (damn you, Amazon one click overnight button!).

I was considering waiting for the 3rd gen HD DVD players, but after reading some info here and getting opinions of a few people, I think I made the right decision. I'm just feeling the hurt of shelling out $569 + $3.99 overnight.

I'll be selling my X360 HD DVD player on eBay tonight.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:03 PM

Well Toshiba keeps saying that the XA2 will continue to be their flagship player with the 3rd gen units announced. It's a solid player that I'd trade my XA1 in for in a second.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 PM

GREAT choice! Toshiba has confirmed that the XA2 will continue to be the top of the line. It will receive 24p and high bit rate audio (7.1 over HDMI) via firmware updates very soon. None of the announced forthcoming 3rd gen units have the REON chip set, which is what makes the XA2 stand out as the best of the best for upconverting standard def DVDs.

The only way I'd consider going with the next model down (3rd gen A35) is if there was a HUGE difference in price. But the difference is less than $100 so the XA2 is THE WAY TO GO!

I know I love mine!

Mark
Old 09-09-2007, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. After letting the purchase sink in (and the confirmation email from Amazon that my order was processed), I felt better knowing I chose wisely. As you can see from my signature, my HD DVD collection is much larger than bluray, and growing all the time. I couldn't do it an injustice by skimping on the player and the connection to my TV.

At least now when I see a title that doesn't look spectacular, I know it's the movie itself and/or the transfer, and not my player/TV.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 AM

Great choice going with the XA2! I'm glad I did even tho my first unit crapped out after updating to firmware 2.1, but new replacement unit is singing like a bird and no issues at all since I upgraded to firmware 2.2. The upconverting is amazing on this unit and once it gets the firmware updates for 24p and high bit rate audio (7.1 over HDMI) it will be one solid player!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:35 AM

I think you made a great decision too. First of all, it's a great HD-DVD player with all the greatest stock upgrades so far. That is a part of what makes that particular player a flagship model. Second, you got it for $569? Wow, the cheapest I've seen it so far (Apart from it's common regular 799.99 retail price) was about $650 so you got an excellent deal on it.

I have read many reviews about it and the problems are like almost none. The only one I've seen is that sometimes it doesn't read or read well on discs sometimes. I learned it's not the discs. Actually HD-DVD true fans have often defended it right away with the excuse that the laser is soooo sensitive to dust that it can cause just that. But it's okay. It's a great player. I love Toshiba and what it's done for the HD-DVD industry.

I personally though was close to getting an HD-A20 myself but since the HD-A35 is coming out sometime within the next month or month and a half, why not wait? Plus I can get to save extra money by working for it too until then. I'm gonna literally spend an entire paycheck on the player (Suggested retail price $499). It's a great deal since by that time (For that time until a greater player comes out which it will eventually) it should be the top of the line HD-DVD player. There are a lotta titles I wanna buy on HD-DVD that I wish I could get on Blu-Ray too like Fast and the Furious, The Matrix 1-3, and The Bourne Identity.

BOTTOM LINE: You did a great service to yourself and the HD-DVD industry and community. I am neutral. Used to be only Blu-Ray loyal but I went neutral cuz of the studio distribution split. Shame but what can I say? I'm obsessed with High Definition viewing.

NOTE: Please any of you HD-DVD fans read this and start getting defensive saying, "Where's the proof that the laser does that?" and stuff, dont even ask cuz I'm not gonna go out of my way to find the articles in which I read that, okay? If you want, look at all the reviews of the HD-XA2 listed in Wikipedia.com or toshibadvd.com or something for yourself. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:26 PM

I pulled the trigger with the Amazon deal recently. I got the XA2 + 3 movies (Happy Feet, The Fountain, & The Big Lebowski) for $542 shipped. I've been very happy with the player. I've had none of the issues I've seen discussed on the boards. I'm connected with HDMI to DVI to my HDTV and the upconverted SD DVDs look great. I'm using the 5.1 analog outs and I can finally listen to the True HD soundtracks....they sound awesome. With the upcoming FW ugrades this player is about as future proof as you are going to get right now. Congratz on your purchase and I hope you love the player as much as I do.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:16 PM

I went through a slight remorse myself, but quickly got over it once I got the thing up and running. I upgraded from and A1 to an XA2 and got the same deal as StimpyJCat.

One quick note, anyone think the fan is a little loud? Some nights it's a little too high pitched for my liking and I find it distracting. My wife claims she can't hear a thing. Just thought I would ask. I would hate to think I have a faulty one and go through the hassle of exchanging it.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
IOne quick note, anyone think the fan is a little loud? Some nights it's a little too high pitched for my liking and I find it distracting. My wife claims she can't hear a thing. Just thought I would ask. I would hate to think I have a faulty one and go through the hassle of exchanging it.
It is a little loud and I'm not too fond of the high pitch, but it isn't nearly as loud as the 360. My Cable box is loud as well. I only notice it when a movie is paused. Doesn't bother me at all while watching the movie. And I'm really close to it with my current setup...small apartment. I think most people have reported this noise so I don't think it is a faulty one.

Just crank up the TrueHD!!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpyJCat View Post
It is a little loud and I'm not too fond of the high pitch, but it isn't nearly as loud as the 360. My Cable box is loud as well. I only notice it when a movie is paused. Doesn't bother me at all while watching the movie. And I'm really close to it with my current setup...small apartment. I think most people have reported this noise so I don't think it is a faulty one.

Just crank up the TrueHD!!
Don't get me wrong, it's not loud like 360 loud, it's just that I get obsessed when I hear it. Especially with quiet movies (i.e. Phantom of the Opera and etc.).

So, you are saying you can hear that high pitch as well then and no need to look at returning it?