DTS better than Dolby Digital - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-09-2007, 11:46 AM

Default DTS better than Dolby Digital

Anybody see issues with their receivers with the dolby digital being a lower sounding than DTS channels. I wish all my Hd-'s had DTS, it sound so much better. But when I have SD- dolby digital it sounds fine. Anybody see this on HD-DVD's. I tested it out on Sahara and Aoen Flux, big difference when switching to DTS. I was impressed. It seems like it happens to any dolby digial plus HD-DVD. Or is it low volume on digial plus?

My specs are:
Station Presets 6
Dolby Digital Decoder Yes
DTS Decoder Yes
Dolby Pro Logic Decoder Yes
6.1-Channel Input Ye
DTS ES Discrete 6.1 Yes
DTS ES Matrix 6.1 No
DTS 96/24 Yes
DTS NEO 6 Yes
HDTV Compatibility Yes

Last edited by ScorpionKingCT; 09-09-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:56 PM

Don't confuse "louder" with "better". Adjust your volume and you'll see much less difference between the tracks.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:23 PM

I always found 1.5Mbps DTS better than DD on laserdisc. Most DVDs only used 768kbps DTS and the advantage was hardly noticeable. I think the only HD DVD that I own with DTS is Riddick and the DTS track is certainly louder than the DD+ track but I certainly didn't notice any real improvement
Old 09-09-2007, 06:07 PM

For example on mI:3 bridge scene, i had the HD-DVD set to 51 on my receiver on both versions. The DD+ track when the missles fired and the gun shots, just a bang, my SD_DVD dolby digital non plus, you can hear the missle whisling down towards them, the gun shots and glass break, had higher superior quality, than the HD DD+. maybe my receiver intends to do it, i dont know

Its a big difference. Are their such things as a output from a receiver that is lower than normal on DD+
Old 09-09-2007, 07:46 PM

What audio connection are you using between your player and receiver?
Are you using the A-2 to play back the SD DVD?
Are you sending bitstream to the receiver or are you doing decoding in the player?
If you are listening to it through HDMI have you tried listening to the SPDIF connection (I think it can be set to downmix DD+ to 1.5mbps DTS)?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:48 PM

I am using my HD- A-2 in both cases, the settings are the same for both, it is either PCM or bistream i have to check, which should be used? I am using HDMI for the connection, How do i downgrade it on the player or receiver?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:19 PM

If the menu was set as bitstream then the receiver will be doing the decoding of SD DVDs but the player will be decoding HD DVDs. If it is set as PCM then the player should decode both types of discs. See how the audio sounds when playing a SD DVD with PCM turned on. If it has changed then it may be down to DRC or similar. DRC is Dynamic Range Control and you also ave a function called Dialog Enhancement, I would turn these both off.

HD DVD players always send the audio as PCM even if the menu says bitstream. If you connect a optical cable from the A2 to your receiver and then select this input then it should say DTS. Listen to your test scene and see if it has changed.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:51 PM

The only time I've ever heard a difference on HD DVD is with the 1.5MBps DTS and 1.5MBps Dolby+ tracks on Paramount's Black Rain. The DTS track has just a little more "bottom end" and presence than the Dolby+ track.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:53 AM

In digital output HDMI> Auto

These are turned on , i will turn off to see if that makes a difference:
If it has changed then it may be down to DRC or similar. DRC is Dynamic Range Control and you also ave a function called Dialog Enhancement

According to my a-2 manual it says:
Digital out HDMI:
When u play a disc recorded in DD Plus, PCM is output

When playing DD, DTS bistream is output

Not sure if that is why as well, maybe the PCM from DD+ sounds weaker than bitstream, i noticed when i player DD+ the display said PCM 48, on the SD, it did not.

Last edited by ScorpionKingCT; 09-10-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 AM

I also have a digital cable, i tried that but should i remove the HDMI cable going from the receiver to the DVD player and use the optical instead> ? I tried it without removing the HDMI cable and it still sounded the same, please let me know and i can try different things and see where it goes from their,

thanks.