A2 Problem...should i send it back? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-08-2007, 10:44 PM

Default A2 Problem...should i send it back?

So i too got my A2 on Sept. 7th. Here is my issue i am having:

When I have the player hooked in via HDMI, i get picture for about 1 min then i only get audio and no picture (only when a movie is playing). The picture works on the setup menu, etc, but when movies are being played, i lose the picture after about 1 min or so. If i plug the player in with component the picture works fine. So what do you think is going on? is it my player? is it the HDMI cord?

Right now i have in V for Vendetta, and the PREVIEWS WORK FINE! i get to the movie, the picture is gone and i have no connection (but i do get sound), i then stop the player, hit the setup menu and the setup menu is there and the picture stays...what is going on?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:47 PM

I'm just guessing here but component only carries up to 1080i and your picture is fine.
HDMI goes up to 1080p and the picture doesn't work .The setup menu might not be in 1080p so it might work and the sound works.
Is your tv 1080p rated ? If not you might have to set output on your player to 1080 i or use component.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:52 PM

I got my A2 and I have this problem as well. I'm trying to play Heroes season 1 and picture keeps going in and out.
Its probably an HDMI compatibility issue or something...
Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
I'm just guessing here but component only carries up to 1080i and your picture is fine.
HDMI goes up to 1080p and the picture doesn't work .The setup menu might not be in 1080p so it might work and the sound works.
Is your tv 1080p rated ? If not you might have to set output on your player to 1080 i or use component.
my tv is not 1080p, but neither is the dvd player so how can i change the setup? the dvd player will only go to 1080i, which is what my tv is
Old 09-09-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri View Post
my tv is not 1080p, but neither is the dvd player so how can i change the setup? the dvd player will only go to 1080i, which is what my tv is

Sorry bout that.I thought the a2 was 1080p.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:57 AM

Are you sure you are on firmware update 2.2? I got mine the same day and plugged into the internet before doing anything else. The player immediately downloaded 38 update files. I have not experienced any problems at all with video, but I have seen an issue exectly like yours but the other way around. I get video but no sound out of the HDMI after a couple of minutes. I think I have corrected this by setting the HDMI digital audio out to PCM instead of Auto. I run analog out cables for sound from my TV to a very cheap surround sound processor (it is Dolby Digital so it sounds pretty decent for a low priced unit).

The audio settings are very confusing to me. I have a couple of discs that contain the Dolby TruHD, but I can't figure out how to make the player output it. The display reading always shows Dolby Digital +.

If you can't solve the video issue (or if no one here has any answers) I would not hesitate to call Toshiba.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:05 AM

Monday I will be calling Toshiba. I know that I am on 2.2 because i too updated it when i first got it. It downloaded the files, then it said 2.2 now instead of 1.? (cant remember what it came with), then i tried to download another to see if i have to download more and it said no updates or something...so i guess i'll just call toshiba on monday, or maybe today i guess
Old 09-09-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Sorry bout that.I thought the a2 was 1080p.
no problem, i apreciate the feedback
Old 09-09-2007, 11:36 AM

I have an A2 which is 1080i and a TV that is 1080i and the HDMI works fine for me, that said it could be your HDMI cable. You can also try to put them in 720p mode and see if that works. It never hurts to call Toshiba, but if this is an ongoing problem, returning it for an exchange is a good thing to look into also.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY-HD-DVD View Post
I have an A2 which is 1080i and a TV that is 1080i and the HDMI works fine for me, that said it could be your HDMI cable. You can also try to put them in 720p mode and see if that works. It never hurts to call Toshiba, but if this is an ongoing problem, returning it for an exchange is a good thing to look into also.
I would exchange it today, but i ordered it from amazon, i have a feeling it might be a hassle sending this thing back - oh and i know its not the cable because before I had my A2, i had a samsung upconverting dvd player in its place via hdmi and never had a problem with it...so i guess its my player then