Toshiba HD-A2 Failure... Help? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-08-2007, 07:23 PM

Angry Toshiba HD-A2 Failure... Help?

I recently (August 31) purchased a Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player from Amazon. It arrived in the mail on Friday, September 7th. On Saturday, September 8th after viewing most of the film Hot Fuzz on a HD-DVD, my player seized to work. The player is less than one day old and has only been used twice in that time. Once to watch Serenity the evening on got the player and the other while watching Hot Fuzz.

Anyway, as the movie was nearing the end, the picture froze as if the player were switching data layers on the disc or as though I has accidentally pressed pause on the remote. After a few brief seconds, the picture began to flash black and white and pixilated. I then proceeded to press the off button on the unit and remote, but the player failed to respond to any commands. I then unplugged the player from the electrical outlet in order to power down the unit.

After plugging the player back in, I attempted to get the player to either begin playing the movie again or go to the player set-up menu. Neither of those options were possible. When pressing the power button, the unit powers up and displays the "Welcome" message on the LCD screen located on the front of the player, but then fails to proceed any further. No picture or audio signals come from the player. When I attempted to issue commands to the player, it failed to recognize any of them. The disc tray will not open or close and none of the playback buttons will work. Only holding down the power button for a short time will the unit power down, but other than that, the player will not function.

The player was sitting on an entertainment unit that allow plenty of air flow. The main power cord was plugged into a surge protector. No power outage occurred during the incident. The player is connected to the television through a HDMI cord and to the amplifier by an optical cord.

After several minutes of trying to get my copy of Hot Fuzz out of the player unsuccessfully, I had to resort to using the manual eject pin hole located on the front of the player under the disc drive. Even after the disc's removal from the player, the unit still failed to send a A/V signal to either the TV or Amp and again refused to move any further than the "Welcome" message on the LCD display or obey commands from the buttons.

Assistance would be welcomed. has anyone else had this issue before with the A2?
Old 09-08-2007, 07:36 PM

I'd just send it back.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

I've never had this issue with my HD-A2, I think you should send it back. I've never heard of that problem.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:10 PM

Well, this situation is getting a little bleak now...

I just contacted Sixth Avenue Electronics (Amazon Seller), and they are unwilling to accept the player because I no longer have the original UPC code from the box. That's right... the same original UPC code I mailed to Toshiba earlier today for the 5 Free HD-DVDs deal... I got everything else, EXCEPT the UPC.

Toshiba's customer service line is unavailable until Monday, so now I have to wait on them to figure out were to go from here.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:17 PM

Worst thing that can happen is that you have to take it in for warranty work as long as you still have the bill of sale.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:12 PM

OK, this is a bit dishonest, but it really isn't. Try calling again and hope you get a different person answering the phone. Tell them that you threw out the box and your trash has been picked up already. Hopefully this will work. Then just go but another box and some packing material Get a return authoraztion number from the company you bought it from.

If that does not work, ask to be sent to a manager, hopefully they can help you. On monday, contact Toshiba, and tell them you had already sent in the UPC and hopefully they can still help you. And at the worst, you can send it in for repair. Good luck.

AFTER THOUGHT...have you left the unit unplugged for more than 5 minutes and then plugged it back in ? Also, try another outlet that is not on your power strip.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:55 PM

Toshiba does have that paper insert that says don't return to store, so I would call them first before doing anything more.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:11 PM

First did you update your firmware? I've had 2 isseus with my HD-A2 both times going to the next firmware fixed it.

Second easy solution is buy another HD-A2. And mail back your broken one in that new HD-A2's box.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:28 PM

No, I did not upgrade any firmware. I was actually planning to connect the player to the Internet after I got done with watching Hot Fuzz. Obviously I never got to that point...

Anyway, I contacted Toshiba on Monday about the problem and they told me to send the player to them for repair. I send it off this morning, so I should get it back by next Thursday assuming they stick with their "3-business days" timeframe for fixing and returning it. If they provide an explanation for the cause of the failure, then I'll be sure to post it here for future reference for anyone else with this problem.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:08 PM

Thumbs up

Just an update on my problem...

Toshiba fixed the player and sent me an invoice with a FedEx tracking number via email. My player should be back in my hands by Wednesday!

According to the invoice (which is rather vague), it appears the issue was with the main board. They replaced it and restored the firmware.

Overall, I will rank this experience quite favorably for Toshiba's customer service. My player arrived at their service center last Tuesday and it took them until Friday to fix the issue. They got it in the mail first thing Monday using FedEx 2Day Service. Also, they were very quick and helpful in answering my questions over the phone during the service time. I called them twice. Once to see if it had arrived and again this morning to check on its status.

Eve though my player broke in less then a day, I would be willing to buy from them again in the future because of their quality service. +1 for the HD-DVD camp.