DVD Forum approves 'bigger than Blu-ray' HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-08-2007, 06:06 PM

Default DVD Forum approves 'bigger than Blu-ray' HD DVD

Breaking news first reported on Screen Digest.com -

http://www.screendigest.com/online_s...60907-ec3/show

Quote:
07 Sep 07

Source: Online Services/Intelligence/Video and DVD/Updates

The DVD Forum, the international DVD standards authority, has approved a 51 GB single-sided triple-layer HD DVD disc for production. Extension to the HD DVD standard, which was submitted by Toshiba in April, received approval on 31 August 2007.

Other recent developments include:

* A single-sided triple-layer HD DVD/DVD hybrid (twin) disc, the DVD layer of which would be playable by legacy DVD players, is expected to be approved before the year end.

Our take...
The approval of Toshiba's 51 GB disc is good news for the HD DVD camp, allowing it to compete directly with rival Blu-ray Disc's (BD) dual-layer 50 GB disc. As with the BD50, it is likely to take some time for production yields to reach a commercially viable level. However, once this has been achieved it will arguably eliminate one of the principle reasons behind some studios' support of Blu-ray over HD DVD, thus potentially making it easier for Disney or Fox to adopt a format-agnostic position without losing face. Meanwhile, the development of a triple-layer single-sided hybrid HD DVD/DVD disc will also be welcomed by HD DVD supporters. Both Warner and Universal have been releasing double-sided hybrids in the US for some time but they have yet to use this approach in Europe. Single-sided hybrids (sometimes called 'twin format' discs) offer the same space for promotional printing as traditional optical discs and do not require the consumer to think about which way to put them into the player. Anime title Freedom was released in the US as a single-sided hybrid in June but its capacity (15 GB HD DVD and 4.7 GB DVD) was not sufficient for a major studio release. The approval by the Forum of a triple-layer hybrid might arguably encourage some studios to release certain titles only on HD DVD/DVD hybrids, which could in turn lead to some DVD buyers building up a library of HD DVD titles by default, before making the decision to upgrade to a hi-def video player. So far there have been no indications that the BD camp plans to support hybrid discs.
Interesting news. Amir has consistently downplayed the importance of 51GB disc. But, it is good "bragging rights".

And that triple layer "twin format" has a lot of potential.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:14 PM

Will those triple layer discs work with current hd dvd players?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:40 PM

Default ALSO CHINA makes HD-DVD standard for whole country!!!

New Chinese Involvement Could Trigger HD DVD Price Plunge- The article is on betanews.com. I cannot post links right now sorry. This is more BIG news for HD-DVD

Regards,
Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megapixel3d View Post
New Chinese Involvement Could Trigger HD DVD Price Plunge- The article is on betanews.com. I cannot post links right now sorry. This is more BIG news for HD-DVD

Regards,
China was licensed for a 'specialized' version of HD DVD last summer. As I understand it, the Chinese did not want to pay licensing fees, so their 'special' version does not require HD DVD specs - licensing fees for VC-!, AVC, TrueHD, etc. So, 'international' HD DVD will not play on their players. Less piracy concerns, and they get HD inexpensively before the Olympics. But then, their HD DVD will play on HD DVD players - no AACS prrotection; mpeg2, AC3 audio only. The Chinese get to sell $2 discs of 2008 Olympic footage that will play in international HD DVD players. With any luck, they won't be selling $2 copies of The Departed HD DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaek View Post
Will those triple layer discs work with current hd dvd players?
If they are used for HD DVD only -
G3 players - Yes
G2 players - Most likely
G1 players - probably

IF ever used for HD movies only.

Most likely - DVD/HD DVD same side combos, replacing DVD only discs.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:57 AM

I think this is pretty darn good news. Partly because it will makes the exec from Disney look like a fool. The one who say's HD-DVD just doesn't have enough room.
And secondly it's great news, because is comes directly from the DVD forum. Obviously a very powerful group to be backing HD-DVD.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:06 AM

Triple layer discs will probably be used for data storage applications, but are unlikely to make their way to the movie formats.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:54 AM

Thats kinda sad that it is already on its third layer.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:27 PM

at least it is capable of a 3rd layer.
I don't think it will be that hard for a firmware update to come down the pipe and allow older players to read the discs.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezjeepguy View Post
at least it is capable of a 3rd layer.
I don't think it will be that hard for a firmware update to come down the pipe and allow older players to read the discs.
Blu-ray is capable of eight layers. I believe TDK did it.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 PM

This is what im talking about. BD has 50GB in 2 layers but cost a fortune for everyone. HD-DVD will have 3 options for media providers and the players are cheap. Single layer for short films or catalog titles that have no special features, dual layer for most films with lossless audio(TrueHD), and tripple layers for 3 hour plus films with TrueHD and extensive special features(Web features,PnP Commentaries, etc..). Paramount/Dreamworks knew this was coming. Toshiba had this disc running on HD-DVD players back when they announced it and CES 2K7. This is NOT blu ray disc, they are not bringing unstable technology to the table here. Guranteed, this disc will play via firmware update to older players and on ALL future HD-DVD players. Toshiba has virtually made all existing players with the exception of the LG player which wasnt certified as HD-DVD compatible in the first place(It only can play the A/V streams, therefore, it cant sport the official HD-DVD badge).

This is my prediction: With a 51GB disc available to content providers, there will be no excuse to author content with VC-1 or AVC/MPEG4, whichever the studio favors the most , and TrueHD or LPCM, I know Disney sports LPCM and others TrueHD. This is the wake up call for the industry folks, and the disc WILL work. As for data backup, I feel neither is suitable for Data backup, essepecially at this time. Why use a DL 50GB "Very Slow" Blu Ray disc when I could use a portable SATA/USB2.0 500GB hard disk to move and store data? Sorry, but Ill stick with HD-DVD as my favorite format for HD home video. Good job HD-DVD Promo group. Good job

-dad