Can't update the firmware on my A2? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-07-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Can't update the firmware on my A2?

I tried for an hour to get my A2 to work with my cable broadband connection.... no go. Then, I read you can update the firmware with a download from Toshiba's website and a blank CD. I tried that, didn't work. I downloaded the file, and burned it to a CD-R put it in myplayer and it said that it didn't accept CDs. The picture quality on the titles I've watched looks like shit, I'm wondering if it because I need to update the firmware, and how can I go about doing it?

So far I'm severally disappointed in the A2, and honestly I feel the Xbox add-on is a much better player. I had no problems updating the add-on when I owned it, and the PQ was far better than it is with the A2. What the heck is going on?

EDIT: Also, the sound is really, really low. I have to turn my TV up almost all of the way.

Last edited by ChrisInCali; 09-07-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:31 PM

I have the A2 and love it, great picture. I could be that you need to update. I did mine over the internet without problems, though it did take 20 minutes or so. It will take longer if you have the original firmware, then go through all the new firmware updates. you can also call Toshiba and they will mail you the firmware update disc. Also, go over to AVS forums, they give a detailed way on how to burn a cd. Can't recall exactly what to do, just go there and it will tell you.

Also, what are your settings in the A2 ? I have ALL of the things that would artifically enhance picture quality turned OFF. Maybe it the cable, have you tried another HDMI cable ? Or possibly your tv is not set up right. LOTS of reasons the picture could look bad. Hopefully these ideas can help you out. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:48 PM

Chris...I just went to AVS forums and found two postings about burning a cd that may help you.

#1...Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316
Whoever downloaded ISO file from Tosh, notice that there are two .iso files one is 39mg and the other has 82 for size and on the side it sez macosx

Rob

You click on that if you are making CD on a Mac using operating system OS X

#2...Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaxon
I downloaded the data without incident, unzipped it and tried to make a CD-R. I use Roxio and it created the image file when I unzipped it. When I try to burn a copy to use in the HD DVD player I get the message that it would not be copied because "it is not a valid image file".

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? I like this approach much better than hauling the player in to my computer area and hooking all that stuff up including a TV screen.

Thanks,

Bill

I had the same problem with the Roxio software. Try using ISO-Burner. I was able to successfully burn the ISO onto a CD-RW.

LINK FOR ISO BURNER.....http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm
Old 09-07-2007, 09:56 PM

Chris... what error are you getting when you try to update online?

I have the A1 and had issues the last time I updated but eventually it worked. If I remember correctly I had to reset the IP on my modem first or something like that. I posted the steps here and will see if I can find the post... if you give out the error we can probably find out what the problem is here, on AVS, or even on Universals new HD DVD website... they have a page with downloading solutions.

http://www.universalhidef.com/errors.aspx

Edit... I found my other post... I was getting the "VUP error 121" and heres how I fixed it:

Initialize your player
Turn off player
Turn on the player
Turn on the modem
Turn on DHCP and DNS, confirm
Then it worked.

Hope this helps. I was totally frustrated when this happened to me but once I got the modem set up right it worked the first time.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:30 AM

Alright, thanks for all the help guys! I'm messed with the DNS setting for about two hours, and then I got it to work. I updated the firmware, and now everything is working great. The picture looks much better, and the player runs a little faster too it seems. My audio is still extremely low for some reason.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:24 AM

Check to see if the dynamic range control is on and if so, shut it off. That might help solve your low audio issues.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInCali View Post
My audio is still extremely low for some reason.
Chris....on my A2 and BD-P1200 I do need to turn up the audio a bit more than on a regular dvd player. Seems to be the case and my reciever can handle it without any problems. It's wayyyyy worth it to crank up the volume a tad more as you'll have a fantastic picture.