HD players than can read old R1, R2 etc SDVDs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-07-2007, 07:19 AM

Default HD players than can read old R1, R2 etc SDVDs

OK, I have been browsing the web, forums etc, and failed to find any clear info about which HD players can play both R1 and R2 standart DVD discs (ie like region free players).

I believe this is important stuff because many joe6p do have region free regular DVD players, and they like to get their SD stuff from HK, france, UK, etc, and they are probably concerned once their player will break, about getting either a BR or HD player that is back compatible, and can play all their old collection region free.

Another twist is HD players than can read old R1, R2 etc SDVDs with 1080p upscaling. What are they ? It seems no one care about this, but I do and I think many who consider switching to HD do.

So far, I heard that HD players from the US will only play R1 NTSC SDVDs, while HD players from europe will only play R2 pal DVDs. (apart from HD of course).

At the same time, I read on manufacturers specifications, that european HD players by say Toshiba, can output both NTSC and PAL SDVDs. But are they region restricted ?

I think it would be good if one thread is dedicated to giving this info from all available players, so if anyone can help...

PS what about Blue Ray players also ?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:45 AM

i remember reading somewhere that australian courts ruled that region-coding is illegal there, so the hd dvd players in australia are supposed to be region-free for sd-dvds.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:41 AM

Toshiba hd players in north america won't play anything but region 1. It's possible that there is a code you can type in or a series of buttons you can push or a hack you can find that will make it region free or change the region.
I've never looked into that.
I know for a fact though that it can be done with other normal s dvd players.
I looked up the stats for my a20 and it says it plays pal.
What you can also do if you want to play region 2 or whatever movies on your toshiba is make backups of them using programs that will remove the region coding .

Last edited by CaptainCanuck; 09-07-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:51 PM

Nero Re-Encode

Rip it to your computer...Re-Encode it with Nero to NTSC...burn on a DL or shrink to fit a single layer.

Wa La! R1 version of your R#

Did you really think I could live w/o the Kill Bill bloody affair this long. Japan's had it for a while.