Media PC spec - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-06-2007, 04:18 AM

Default Media PC spec

I am not sure if this is the right place for it, but i would like to build a media PC + Xbox 360 HD DVD drive and connect it to my LCD TV, can you guys recommand some good parts that i should look into?
My basic concerns are: good picture quality, HDMI out, PCM 5.1 sound output, runs quietly, medium price range(under or around $1K). thats pretty much it, o and which ver of vista should i run?
thanks for all ur inputs
Old 09-06-2007, 07:17 AM

My HTPC is

ASUS P5LD2 VM DH
Intel Core2Duo E6400
Zalman CNPS7700 CPU Fan
2 x 1GB DDR2
750GB SATA HDD
NEC DVD-RW
NVidia 8500GT PCIe Fanless
Hauppauge DVB-T PCI
Vista Home Premium
PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra
MS Media Centre Keyboard, Remote and Receiver
Xbox360 Wireless Receiver and Controller
Xbox360 HD DVD drive

The biggest problem is PCM 5.1 audio. I used to have a NVidia 7600GT which had a HDMI output. The audio input on the card was SPDIF which means you were limited to a Dolby Digital or stereo PCM input to output through the HDMI connector. The latest ATI cards (2400 and 2600) have an adaptor to output in HDMI but they are limited to lossy audio as well.

What I have done is to use the analog decoder input of my amplifier and hopefully one of the soundcard manufacturers will release an HDMI soundcard that will take the DVI video and add the audio to it.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:50 AM

Do you use Power DVD to play HD DVDs on your HTPC?

I really wish there was support for HD DVD in Media Center...!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Media Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
Do you use Power DVD to play HD DVDs on your HTPC?

I really wish there was support for HD DVD in Media Center...!
I have a Sony Vaio VGX-XL100, which I have upgraded with a nVidia 8400GS graphics card (not fanless, unfortunately, but not particularly loud) and an X-Box 360 HD DVD Add On drive.

I use the optical (S/PDIF) out to bring sound to my Sony amp and the DVI output from the graphics card to connect to my Philips LCD TV which has a DVI input (no HDMI).

So, the lack of HDMI audio is not a problem for me.

I use PowerDVD. There is a registry hack to launch it full-screen when you insert a HD DVD into the add on drive here. (I haven't confirmed that this works yet.)

I use Vista Home Premium (32 bit).

My biggest problem is that the HD DVD add on is LOUD.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurgadget View Post
I use PowerDVD. There is a registry hack to launch it full-screen when you insert a HD DVD into the add on drive here. (I haven't confirmed that this works yet.)
I use the same hack to enable HD DVD playback and it does work. Hopefully Cyberlink will integrate it into MCE which will add true support. I'm intending to buy the LG GGC-H20LI when it ships so my HTPC will support both HD DVD and Blu-Ray