Lossless Audio on older Receiver? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-04-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Lossless Audio on older Receiver?

I have a 7.1 Surround Sound Setup at home and my receiver is not that old but it does not decode audio via HDMI (even though it does HDMI Switching). It supports all the other codecs and it is even THX certified. I have come to realize I have 2 options, either I get a new receiver (not going to do this) or I use the 7.1 Analog inputs on my receiver and let the standalone player decode the audio. Since I am pretty sure you cannot get lossless audio from Coax or Optical.

My question is this, is this solution any good? Is anyone out there currently using the analog input on their receiver to listen to the new lossless audio formats? I have not bought a standalone yet, I currently just use the 360+Addon+VGA+Optical. But I might consider picking up a Standalone player if it will be a significant boost in sound quality. Also are there currently any movies that have true 7.1 surround tracks?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 PM

What model of receiver is it?

I currently use the analog 5.1 input of my amp since it is coming from my HTPC as this is the only way I can get lossless audio. I use PowerDVD and the only other option is to downmix to DD. I don't think any current player have more than 5.1 analog outputs but I could be wrong. I think only one title has been announced that has 7.1 audio but I can't remember what it is.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:20 AM

The higher end Toshiba like the A35 (out in october) have analog out. I think they are only 5.1.
I will be upgrading to this player when it will be out, i currently have the 360 addon and my receiver does not support HDMI and I don't want to change it.