A2 DVD Upconversion --Wow! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-03-2007, 03:49 PM

Default A2 DVD Upconversion --Wow!

It's been less than a week since my purchase of the Toshiba HD-A2, but already I'm happy with an unforseen benefit: the upconversion of SD DVD is excellent! Though my PS3 does an adequate job with upconversion, subjectively the A2 seems to be better. IMHO
Old 09-03-2007, 03:55 PM

It does a great job!! My toshiba a20 also plays music cds really nice too. I find that the sound from the a2 & a20 sound better then most cd players.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 PM

I just recently picked up a HD-A2 also. I decided instead of having my HD DVD add on, and an upconverting DVD player, I could just sell the two and pick up a standalone HD DVD. I am also very happy with the upconversion of my SD DVD collection.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runchuckrun View Post
It's been less than a week since my purchase of the Toshiba HD-A2, but already I'm happy with an unforseen benefit: the upconversion of SD DVD is excellent! Though my PS3 does an adequate job with upconversion, subjectively the A2 seems to be better. IMHO
runchuckrun, so you can noticeably see a good enough difference between the upscaling of DVDs from the PS3 and the HD-A2? I have a PS3 and I barely see a difference in the DVD upscaling. I only ask because I'm in the market for a standalone HD DVD player and although the HD-XA2 might be the best upscaling HD DVD player with it's HQV chip, it's a little too expensive for me.

Also, what TV do you have?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzlehd View Post
runchuckrun, so you can noticeably see a good enough difference between the upscaling of DVDs from the PS3 and the HD-A2? I have a PS3 and I barely see a difference in the DVD upscaling. I only ask because I'm in the market for a standalone HD DVD player and although the HD-XA2 might be the best upscaling HD DVD player with it's HQV chip, it's a little too expensive for me.

In all honesty, the DVD upscaling of the PS3 and the A2 both look about the same. Because of its price, I expected the PS3 to do a good job, but I was surprised that the A2 did as well as it did, especially for a $200+ player.

I compared two DVDs: The Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over" and the movie "Lawrence of Arabia." Both looked excellent upconverted. Back and forth, I compared scenes between the PS3 and the A2 and it really was a toss up. I would say considering the price difference, the A2 was the winner.

As a tie-breaker, I compared scenes from "Bram Stoker's Dracula." I chose this movie because it will soon be released on HD, and I was on the fence as to whether I should upgraded my copy. On both machines, the upscaling was terrible. Thus, I concluded that the DVD transfer probably has more to do with how good the upconverting will look than the actual machine doing the upconverting. YMMV.

BTW: I will definitely upgrade my copy of "Dracula" to HD. I'm now in the process of "screening" my DVDs to see how well they upconvert.

I have a Westinghouse LVM-37W3 as my monitor. I used "Digital Video Essentials" to configure it.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzlehd View Post

I think A20's also have the same upconversion chip...whereas A2's have a somewhat cheaper ones. Have no idea what chips will be in the new 3rd gen Tos.

BTW...does anybody have any links where I can see how the upconversion from Tos looks like compared to other cheap upconversion DVD player.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-05-2007, 05:38 AM

U know I watched the Blade trilogy on SD-DVD using my A2 as an upconverter, it did a fantastic job, there were shots that I could have swore looked like it was HD. I had forgotten in was Standard def for a second.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:38 AM

The better the transfer is, the better the upconverting will look. I've watched SD DVDs on my A2 where they didn't benefit from upscaling at all and others have looked near HD-quality. I've also found that upscaling makes a world of difference when watching a DVD-R copy of a film. The upscaling seems to compensate for the additional compression which needed to be applied in order to fit the movie onto a 4.7GB blank. Of course as with anything else having to do with HT stuff, YMMV.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 AM

yeah I agree, A2 is great with upconversion...pending the better the SD title is.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:13 PM

Sin City looks beautiful up-converted, but I still can't wait to see how awesome it will look in HD