Microsoft and Broadcom team up on low cost HD DVD player design - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Microsoft and Broadcom team up on low cost HD DVD player design

I havn't seen anyone posting about this news yet. It could be the biggest boost to come out of CES for the HD DVD platform.

Quote:
Microsoft announced today that it has partnered with Broadcom to create a reference design for a low cost HD DVD player. With Windows CE-based software and Broadcom's BCM7440 system-on-a-chip based hardware the idea is to give volume manufacturers a chance to drive prices down faster than Blu-ray can match. Lite-On IT and Zhenjiang Jiangkui Group Co. Ltd./ED Digital are already on deck to build players based on the design, for this war not to be over already HD DVD is going to need every bit of price and manufacturing advantage it can get.
I don't think these players won't be more than $299 and if they could get them even cheaper than that HD DVD will be in really good shape.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Good to see the hardware support increasing. Obviously it will be an entry point solution but if it gets more people into HD then that can't be a bad thing!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:17 PM

This is really good, a low HD DVD reference specification will eventually lead to a low cost chipset which of course will lead to a low cost player. If the HD DVD camp get drive the cost down to around the $200 mark Sony will respond.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:11 PM
noobydoo

Post Microsoft & Broadcom work on HD DVD

I ran across this the other day and was frankly surprised at the level of Microsoft involvement in the advancement of HD DVD players. I knew they created the HDi software but this chip is designed to be used by oems such as LG or others in China to get the price down to mass adoption levels.

If this design is finished by summer, a Fall rollout with subsequent price drops could have HD DVD players in WalMart for $200 by xmas. Sign me up, I could use an extra one in my office.

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS6897869924.html