A2 question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-01-2007, 10:31 PM

Default A2 question

So I should have my new A2 by tuesday or wednesday, and i have a quick question. How do you update the player? I have a wireless router, will it find my player like the wii does? or do i have to plug it in to my modem, etc.? just curious...the waiting is killing me thanks amazon!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:38 AM

Kurri, it doesn't have built-in Wifi--it has a place to plug in normal Cat5 ethernet LAN cable to update it, or you can update it with a disc.

I have no ethernet around where my TV is. What I do is unplug my player, carry it over here to my computer and plug it into my router. Fortunately for me, I have A/V inputs into my computer so I connect the video using a conventional analog RCA cable so that I can see what I'm doing on my computer screen with the menus to update the player. That puts me squarely into geek territory and a place where average folks might not go.

When I got my A2, it was several versions back in firmware and I had to do 4 or 5 update cycles to bring it up to the latest at that time (April). Since then, there have been 3 or 4 more updates that I've installed the same way. Those updates go really slowly, too -- like 35-40 minutes each, and the first ones didn't give you any indication that it was working. The updates now tell me on the unit that I'm downloading 1 out of 35, then 2 out of 35, etc, and then tell me that it's installing in 5 steps so at least I know it's working.

Your other alternatives are:
(1) register your unit and wait. Toshiba sends out CDs with the update a month or two after they come out.

(2) Snoop around here or avsforum.com to know when they come out and to also find out when and where you can download an ISO to burn your own update disc to update your player that way.

(3) Continually check the Toshiba sites to learn when new firmware downloads are available. You'd need to keep an eye on places like:

http://www.mytoshibahddvd.com
http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp
http://tacp.toshiba.com/customersupp...es_notices.asp
Old 09-02-2007, 12:53 PM

thanks for the reply!
Old 09-02-2007, 05:02 PM

Kurri, I have an A2 and I have wireless internet as well. Although you could use a CD to update it, it still doesn't help you if you ever want to go on the Internet for some movies (such as 300). Personally I got a wireless bridge for my A2. Basically what that is in case you don't know is its essentially just like a regular EXTERNAL wireless card for a computer, but instead of using USB connections (the A2 doesn't have USB to support them) the bridge uses Cat5 Ethernet cable. I used to do the same thing, place my A2 next to my router, bring in a small tv to monitor, and then update, but getting the bridge I think was the best investment I made. It certainly made life a lot easier and I no longer had the chance of burning bad discs. Here is the bridge that I purchased and I am loving.

http://www.buy.com/prod/smc-ez-conne...204114826.html

Right now it is temporarily sold out but they should be getting more in soon. They even have free shipping and this is the cheapest bridge I have ever seen it. I thought it was worth every penny. Setting up might be a little tricky if you are not real familiar with networking so if you do decide to go for this and you need some help let me know. Also I would like to point out, this device always works as a Wireless access point, so if your area where your player sits with your HDTV is a bit away from your router this will allow laptops or other WiFi devices to receive a better signal in your room. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:11 PM

Also I almost forgot something, one mistake I had at first with this device was when I connected it to my A2 with the Cat5e cable, I didn't use a crossover cable. It was a straight through. Luckily the cable that comes with is a crossover but it was a bit short which was why I didn't use it at first.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:44 PM

Great, I will look into that res - very affordable