True HD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-08-2007, 10:19 PM

Default True HD

Do you need HDMI 1.3 to get truehd?

The LG dual player is only 1.2 where the xa2 has 1.3.

Both of these are better than my 360 add on, but next summer I plan on completely revamping my home theatre with a new tv and receiver.

I think i'm going to get a denon receiver with the hdmi inputs. Just wondering how important hdmi 1.3 is vs 1.2
Old 01-09-2007, 06:13 AM

HDMI 1.3 is not necessary for TrueHD. The player can decode TrueHD and output via the analog 5.1 outputs so all you would need on your receiver is 5.1 analog inputs.

The LG player, according to photos that have been posted, has analog 5.1 outputs. I do not know if the LG will support decoding of TrueHD or DD+ though.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:04 AM

Default True HD through HDMI

Also you can output decoded true hd through hdmi if you have an hdmi enabled receiver. I am setup this way and my A2 says it is outputting Digital PCM to my receiver. Receiver sees it as multi-channel in. It is great sound.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overseer View Post
HDMI 1.3 is not necessary for TrueHD. The player can decode TrueHD and output via the analog 5.1 outputs so all you would need on your receiver is 5.1 analog inputs.

The LG player, according to photos that have been posted, has analog 5.1 outputs. I do not know if the LG will support decoding of TrueHD or DD+ though.
Yep, TrueHD sounds terrific out of my 5 yr. old Sony receiver with no HDMI through 5.1 analog. The house was a'shakin' last night with Superman Returns.

Just be careful - all the first gen HD DVD players had 5.1 analog outputs. On the second generation players, only the XA2 has 5.1 analog out, the A2 does not. (Not sure about the new mid-range player, the A20?)
Old 01-19-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonadr View Post
Also you can output decoded true hd through hdmi if you have an hdmi enabled receiver. I am setup this way and my A2 says it is outputting Digital PCM to my receiver. Receiver sees it as multi-channel in. It is great sound.
yea going back to that...i am still learning a bit from some of this audio stuff but i consider myself fairly knowledgable, but my question is, when you convert the audio, isnt there some loss generated from it. Everytime i think of conversion, especially with analog/digital, digital/analog, i really just think of the word "loss".
Old 01-19-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resevilfan86 View Post
yea going back to that...i am still learning a bit from some of this audio stuff but i consider myself fairly knowledgable, but my question is, when you convert the audio, isnt there some loss generated from it. Everytime i think of conversion, especially with analog/digital, digital/analog, i really just think of the word "loss".
You have to accept that there has to be a digital->analog conversion step at some point between the disc and your ears. How good that conversion is depends on the quality of the DAC in either your player or your receiver. If you use analog out, it's the player. If you use HDMI for audio, it's your receiver.

Oh, and that conversion has to take place regardless of whether the audio is Dolby Digital (Plus), TrueHD or PCM as ALL are stored on the disc digitally.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:10 AM

Is TrueHD better than Dolby 5.1 or DTS? It's hard to imagine that it is going through analog connections as opposed to fiber-optic. Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:44 AM

TrueHD is A LOT better than DTS and Dolby 5.1 because trueHD is bit for bit identical to original source. It is a compressed audio format, without the loss in quality. DD 5.1 and DTS are both lossy compressed DVD codecs. Just because it is analog cables, doesnt mean its worst sound.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:06 PM

Smile Thanks

Cool. Now I'll have to see if I have any analog inputs left on my receiver! <g>
Old 01-22-2007, 03:19 PM

cannot wait dor the new Denon Receivers with DOLBY TRUE and HDMI 1.3