New HD-DVD Player To Allow Processing Of The Bitstream!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 AM

Default New HD-DVD Player To Allow Processing Of The Bitstream!!

This may have been discussed, but if it was I missed it.
According to this article the holy grail of "allowing processing of the bitstream by a receiver" will be a reality with this third generation player. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

www.hdtvmagazine.com
Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

I wish people would stop making hd-dvd players so often.

Tired of having to come up with a new excuse to swap mine out at BB everytime a new one comes out..
Old 08-30-2007, 02:27 PM

It really doesn't matter whether the player passes high-def bitstreams--most HD DVD's are authored with "Advanced Content," which means the player HAS TO decode the bitstream in the first place!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 PM

that's not what this issue is about. This article seems to be saying that the "advanced authoring" will be circumvented with this new player, allowing an hdmi 1.3 receiver to do processing of the bitstream. something that is NOT possible at the current time. This is a big deal if true.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
that's not what this issue is about. This article seems to be saying that the "advanced authoring" will be circumvented with this new player, allowing an hdmi 1.3 receiver to do processing of the bitstream. something that is NOT possible at the current time. This is a big deal if true.
It's really not a big deal. Whether the bitstream is decoded in the receiver or decoded in the player and transmitted as PCM makes no difference in quality.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It's really not a big deal. Whether the bitstream is decoded in the receiver or decoded in the player and transmitted as PCM makes no difference in quality.
Josh, it's my understanding that the PCM signal is a hog on bandwidth and is not authored on many discs. So a better alternative is to take any encoded lossless audio format like DTS Master Audio and send it un-encoded to a modern receiver that has advanced audio decoders built-in.

Toshiba's new A30, A35 and soon the XA2 will pass bit stream audio to your receiver to be processed. Of course, the disc would have to be authored in the basic mode.

-Robert
Old 09-03-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Actually you need HDMI protocol 1.3a to pass bit stream audio.

We may also see a change in the spec. allowing bit stream audio to be passed on discs authored in the advanced mode.

-Robert
Old 09-03-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
oh brother. This way PROCESSING (you know effecting the sound quality maybe? more treble say) could be done to the bitstream by a receiver. This is what everybody claims they want to do that you CANNOT do right now. Decoding is NOT the issue ok?
You are correct in saying that decoding is not the issue. In fact, there is no issue.

Right now, the player decodes the track to PCM, the PCM is passed to your receiver, and your receiver can process that however you like, adjusting treble or whatever else you want to do.

So, what's the problem?
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Josh, it's my understanding that the PCM signal is a hog on bandwidth and is not authored on many discs. So a better alternative is to take any encoded lossless audio format like DTS Master Audio and send it un-encoded to a modern receiver that has advanced audio decoders built-in.
Robert, the bandwidth is only an issue if the disc itself is encoded with PCM. But HD DVD's aren't encoded with raw PCM. They're encoded with DD+, TrueHD, or DTS-HD. The player takes these bitstreams and decodes them into PCM, which gets passed to the receiver. The decoding is happening in the player, and requires no extra bandwidth on the disc. It works great right now.

Any version of HDMI is sufficient to pass multi-channel PCM from the player to the receiver.

The only advantage of passing the raw bitstream to the receiver and having the receiver do the decoding, is that the receiver's front panel will light up with the name of the codec on the disc. Otherwise, there's no difference.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:25 PM

Thank you Josh for correcting of my incorrect facts. I stand corrected. However, I thought you need HDMI 1.3a for HBR? Am i wrong again?

-Robert