Anyone considering upgrading to one of the third gen players? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-29-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Anyone considering upgrading to one of the third gen players?

Asked a friend of mine at work if he was considering buying one of the third gen players. He has the 360 add on. He told me he was happy with what he has now. His response gave me the idea behind this thread. Is anyone considering buying one of the third gen players or are you happy with what you got now? I am torn between buying a third gen player or a reduced priced second gen one. I like having a back up. Anybody have any complaints about their current player or expierenced any problems? Thanks for all responses. Sorry if these questions have already been posted before.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:10 PM

Eh, i have an A2...output at 1080i but my tv converts it to 1080p. it does the job. I rather buy more movies right now than shell out more for a new player...well, unless they come out with buy a 3rd gen and get transformers, shrek 3, and the potter series...lol
Old 08-29-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey0480 View Post
Eh, i have an A2...output at 1080i but my tv converts it to 1080p. it does the job. I rather buy more movies right now than shell out more for a new player...well, unless they come out with buy a 3rd gen and get transformers, shrek 3, and the potter series...lol
That would be cool. I think offering those movies for free with a purchase of a hd dvd player would sell a ''few'' players,lol. Maybe Toshiba will offer some big promtion deal once these new players hit the market. Cant wait for the reviews on these players.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:16 PM

Exactly, unless there is some great offer with a bunch of movies i don't own already, i am quite happy with what I have. I rather take the $$$ and buy a bunch of movies i want. But, if they are offering 8 movies from a list of what I don't have, I would consider (8 x 25 would be 200 in movies) so I could justify slightly...but they would have to be movies i don't have, and i already got most of what i want on HD.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it lol
Old 08-29-2007, 02:30 PM

I hear you. Personally, I think Toshiba should offer free hd dvd movies of YOUR choice (at the place of purchase) for every purchase of a hd dvd player and continue this promotion until a winner in the format war has been determined. Especially with the holidays coming up. This would have a big impact on sales this holiday season, which both sides need to do. imho.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:33 PM

oh yeah, that is a good idea. you know that would push sales. Knowing you could get a movie you want from their current selection of everything. That would coax me. I would pick out what I want and can't afford. And yep, it will boost sales of movies tremendously.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:36 PM

If I had to pick as few as three it would be...300, Transformers, and Bourne Ultimatum . Have to consider Hot Fuzz as well.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:44 PM

Yep, transformers, Ultimatum, and Hot Fuzz...maybe shrek 3....would be nice. What is the retail on the 3rd gen players?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:00 PM

They are the same as the second gen players I believe, at least for now. That could change especially between the day after Thansgiving and Christmas eve,imho. I dont know why I am thinking this but I keep seeing Transformers being packaged in with the third gen players. Surprised hd dvd has not done this yet. Panasonic and Sony have packaged movies in with their players. Cant you imagine seeing it. Toshiba could package Shrek 3 with the cheaper third gen player, Transformers for the medium priced one, and Bourne Ultimatum for the expensive one. PLEASE MAKE IT SO!!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:08 PM

Or, they could just allow choice with packaging of the players. you get that movie free, AND eight free movies. Now that ...WHOA