Venturer HD DVD Player to Ship in Time for 2007 Holiday Sales - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-28-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Venturer HD DVD Player to Ship in Time for 2007 Holiday Sales

http://www.venturer.com/news-details.aspx?id=15

Venturer Electronics today announced the launch of its first HD DVD player for the North American market. Responding to strong consumer demand for high definition video playback devices, Venturer will introduce the SHD7000 that offers the superior HD movie experience as defined by the DVD Forum.

Featuring 1080i video output and an HDMI connection, the SHD7000 is designed to be compatible with the vast majority of HDTVs already in North American consumers' homes. With Ethernet connectivity to the network , the SHD7000 also allows users to access bonus features from movie studio web servers and unlock special prerecorded content on some HD DVD discs. Dolby TrueHD rounds out the high definition experience by presenting the HD DVD disc soundtrack as it was meant to be heard, virtually equal to the studio master.
In addition to its HD DVD playback capability, the SHD7000 will upconvert standard DVDs to near HD picture quality via its HDMI connection, allowing a consumer's existing library of DVDs to look better than ever. CD playback is also supported.
The SHD7000 will be distributed in North America by Venturer Electronics of Markham, Ontario, and sold through national retailers with retail prices expected to be one of the lowest among entry-level HD DVD players.
Venturer Electronics, headquartered in Markham, Ontario, offers a wide selection of value-priced, high quality consumer electronics products. Since 1988, Venturer has focused on making the latest technologies affordable to North American consumers.

EDIT : This is also in the Smackdown area at http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=16654
Old 08-28-2007, 05:00 PM

the HD-DVD roll continues.
this format war sure has a lot of ups and downs.
can't wait for final spec Blu-Ray players.

it's good to have this thread. non smackdown take
Old 08-28-2007, 06:57 PM

$150 would be great. Just in time for xmas. Great for people on a budget!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:11 PM

WOW this is fantastic news for HD DVD, I think it will be $99.99 to 194.99 with 5 free movies. I will pick one up! I cant wait to get one. Blu just lost the holiday season.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:21 PM

Kudos for such a product coming to market. This might be just enough temptation for many who had been considering the HD Format. most people wouldn't give a hoot on quality these days as most CE products become so cheap over time it is a throw away.

I say bring it on.

Last edited by Blurry; 08-28-2007 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Remove quoted smack
Old 08-28-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Great for people who dont have alot of money to waste

I know a few people who dont make more then $30,000 per year who would love to have this chance to enjoy HD-DVD discs. So long as it works, isnt slow as molasses, and is compatible with all HD-DVD discs which it sounds like it will be, there will be no issue. I truely hope HD-DVD wins the format war.
Even if the player is cheap as dirt, its a chance for people to brake into the world of HD-DVD without braking there wallet. There are tons of cheap DVD players out there, for as little as 33 Bux! Theyre cheap, but they work! My friend still has his from 7 years ago, and hes satisified with it.

-dad
Old 08-28-2007, 07:55 PM

Talking Wow, chock one up for HD-DVD.

I'm sure this might begin the death blow for Sony. I see them having two options. Taking a huge chunk out of the cost of their players to make them more affordable but in the end getting killed for the low cost, or somehow people don't see the worth in buying a possibly $100 dollar Nexgen player.

If I had a small LCD and wanted the next best thing, or were a parent trying to get the coolest thing for their child, without breaking the bank, I'd buy it. Either way you look at it, this could spell d-e-a-t-h for blurrys. One can only hope.

Ahh... the sound of the 400th round KO is about to ring.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Wtf?

How does this mean ANYTHING other than that HD-DVD is playing the discount game. Don't we all remember the post a month back about generic manufacturers receiving unexpectedly large blu-ray recorder and player orders from a number of chains?

As far as I'm concerned, it seems like Venturer is just the first of many of both sides to announce discount holiday players. Fanboys on both sides please side down.

I think it will hit below 200 but no where near 150. I'm guess 196.46 at walmart or something (falling prices... ).

Between discount players and dual-format players, most of the consumers aren't gonna end up going toshiba or sony except through promotion, pack-in, or sale.

DVD player prices didn't come down this fast, if I remember. This HD trend seems accelerated.... I also don't like the idea of flooding the market with 1080i discount players with likely lacking audio support and undoubtedly HDMI 1.1. People shouldn't be fooled when they are buying a product...and I can see J6P not knowing what the difference is between a Toshiba high end player and a shitty cheapo.

/end discussion & rant
Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 PM

I've been waiting for the HD-DVD prices to make the mass market price point like this. (I would like the movie prices to fall, too.)

More good HD-DVD news still to come!!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Formerly Acerone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
Can you say WALMART

Can you say Kmart