Meridian and Onkyo HD DVD Players to be released! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Default Meridian and Onkyo HD DVD Players to be released!

Just came across this press release from the 'North American HD DVD Promotional Group'.

Within the text there is this paragraph:

"Several of the more innovative of the Asian manufacturers such as Alco, Jiangkui/ED Digital, Lite-On, and Shinco will add competitively priced HD DVD products to the market, and well-known brands such as Meridian and Onkyo will create HD DVD players as well."

Hopefully more manufacturer support will be added in the near future!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:37 AM

Would be interesting to see how Lite-On prices theirs. I've got an upscaling Lite-On in my bedroom that also plays DivX/XviD files, shows JPEGs, and plays MP3s. It also includes a multi-card reader. This thing was dirt cheap.

Would definitely like to see what their players look like.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:04 AM

The last time I looked at the Meridian it is high end gear, so an HD DVD player would be pricey if released by them. Also, Meridian is not a common off the shelf brand in North America.

Onkyo on the other hand is a prolific brand in many CE stores in the states. An Onkyo HD DVD player will definitely help on spread the HD DVD platform.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 AM

Not sure I will buy a stand alone HD-DVD player now.
I am not really a fan of Blu-Ray, but if I had to invest more money over and above my HD-DVD add on, I would go with a daul player.
I wonder how many manufacturers are changing their plans and making a dual player now that LG will do it.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersheytx View Post
Not sure I will buy a stand alone HD-DVD player now.
I am not really a fan of Blu-Ray, but if I had to invest more money over and above my HD-DVD add on, I would go with a daul player.
I wonder how many manufacturers are changing their plans and making a dual player now that LG will do it.

Nobody know for certain, however, it's a safe bet to assume that other will follow LG's path. Would probably wait until the 2nd generation of dual format players get released. Allow them to work out the kinks.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Merisian players are certainly high-end. There is a rumour that the HD-DVD player will be around $3,000!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:13 PM

Geez... I'd want a lot of ego stroking to part with THAT kind of money for a HD DVD player
Old 01-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

Meridian has had a firm stance in not developing for either format until the formats are mature, I doubt they're going to have a player for some years. Incidently, they have MLP (Meridian Lossless Packets) in the standards for both HD DVD and BD.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 AM

If a $200-$300 720p/1080i player hit the market before X-Mas that would be incredible for sales.

I wonder about ways they would drive down production prices. Maybe they would release an extremely bare player which only has component outputs.

Does anyone know why high definition players have Composite and S Video outputs? It seems like it would be cheaper just to eliminate them all together.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
I wonder about ways they would drive down production prices.

Cheap Chinese Labor.