Why is Blu-Ray considered leading? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-19-2007, 01:38 AM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 60
Default Why is Blu-Ray considered leading?

As it stands, HD-DVD has way more stand alone players than Blu-Ray.

Sure Blu-Ray is selling more disks - but isn't that a moot point since in the long run since stand alones are everything?

Now I'll admit, Blu-Ray is killing HD-DVD on a few issues:

1. Can't buy a HD-DVD drive for my computer (unless you rip apart a 360 drive, but that's cheating).

This doesn't really matter since there's no HDCP monitors that I know of (sucks because I have an HDCP video card and WinDvd which will do HD).
Still, not having this capability makes the format as a whole look bad.

2. More drive and movies. This doesn't make sense. HD-DVD is less expensive to make, both and the srive side and the disk side.

I think this will stand this way for a long while. Onkyo adds some weight, but HD-DVD completely out classed by the names behind Blu-Ray.
In the end Blu-Ray/HD-DVD hybrid players will render this a moot point, but once it happens you'll see way more HD-DVD's than Blu-ray (not good for us now, but that's what will happen).

That's my take.


3.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2007, 02:15 AM
Jared's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Element View Post
As it stands, HD-DVD has way more stand alone players than Blu-Ray.

Sure Blu-Ray is selling more disks - but isn't that a moot point since in the long run since stand alones are everything?

Now I'll admit, Blu-Ray is killing HD-DVD on a few issues:

1. Can't buy a HD-DVD drive for my computer (unless you rip apart a 360 drive, but that's cheating).

This doesn't really matter since there's no HDCP monitors that I know of (sucks because I have an HDCP video card and WinDvd which will do HD).
Still, not having this capability makes the format as a whole look bad.

2. More drive and movies. This doesn't make sense. HD-DVD is less expensive to make, both and the srive side and the disk side.

I think this will stand this way for a long while. Onkyo adds some weight, but HD-DVD completely out classed by the names behind Blu-Ray.
In the end Blu-Ray/HD-DVD hybrid players will render this a moot point, but once it happens you'll see way more HD-DVD's than Blu-ray (not good for us now, but that's what will happen).

That's my take.


3.
I'm sorry, but your points are way off for two main reasons.

1) Stand-alones are not "everything". The software sales make it quite obvious that the installed base of PS3 consoles out there are playing a huge role in the relative success of Blu-ray over HD DVD.

2) Unless film studios start to go neutral or switch sides, nothing else matters. The success or failure of these formats is in their hands, and with Blu-ray currently having greater studio support, it thus has the greater chance of success.

I agree that dual format players will be tremendous. But I assure you that it will not cause HD DVD software sales to suddenly outpace Blu-ray software sales. Most PS3 and Blu-ray stand-alone owners will see no reason to replace what they have, and the most hardcore movie buffs that do get a dual player will likely only get their Universal and Weinstein movies on HD DVD.

P.S.- This thread belongs in the general discussion (both formats) section of the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Element View Post
As it stands, HD-DVD has way more stand alone players than Blu-Ray.

Sure Blu-Ray is selling more disks - but isn't that a moot point since in the long run since stand alones are everything?
Well, evidently not, as Jared points out.

I don't understand the underlying assumption here - why would you expect movie sales not to count? I would think that would be everything.

The PS3 can be viewed as a Blu-ray player with added gaming functionality, and I'm sure that's just how many people treat it (as opposed to being a game console that also plays movies).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Element View Post
Can't buy a HD-DVD drive for my computer (unless you rip apart a 360 drive, but that's cheating).

This doesn't really matter since there's no HDCP monitors that I know of (sucks because I have an HDCP video card and WinDvd which will do HD).
Still, not having this capability makes the format as a whole look bad.
You can buy internal drives but they cost a lot more than the 360 HD DVD add-on. I've just connected it to my PC via USB.
My friend has a a Samsung 225BW and I will be getting a Samsung 226CW soon and they are both HDCP compliant. I know you get HDCP compliant monitors from Dell, Iiyama, Sony, NEC and others
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Element View Post

...snip...snip...snip
I see you've drank the red kool-aid. Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Dare's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Element View Post
1. Can't buy a HD-DVD drive for my computer (unless you rip apart a 360 drive, but that's cheating).

This doesn't really matter since there's no HDCP monitors that I know of (sucks because I have an HDCP video card and WinDvd which will do HD).
That's not true. I've had an HP HD100 for a few months now, and it's great. Also, HDTVs with HDCP are not in short supply. Nobody said you could only hook up your computer to a computer monitor.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 322
Default

Also, Blu-ray shall always lead HD DVD, by virtue of alphabetical order.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Wan View Post
Well, evidently not, as Jared points out.

I don't understand the underlying assumption here - why would you expect movie sales not to count? I would think that would be everything.

The PS3 can be viewed as a Blu-ray player with added gaming functionality, and I'm sure that's just how many people treat it (as opposed to being a game console that also plays movies).
i always thought for a gaming system to be considered gaming it had to HAVE games 1st..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 60
Default

Micheal Bay understands what I do.......

Stand alones are EVERYTHING!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry Potter: The Quest -Play Games to Unlock Content Leading to Blu-ray Release TheDickWard Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 03-08-2011 01:32 PM
Red2Blu: Upgrade your WB HD-DVDs for new industry-leading Blu-ray discs! Grubert High Definition Smackdown 483 05-18-2009 06:41 AM
Bill Hunt: Toshiba considered suing Warner!? EL_BOMBASTICO High Definition Smackdown 91 02-21-2008 09:02 AM
Is DTS 1.5mb considered DTS HD? PeteHD Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 0 11-27-2007 11:21 PM
My Own Theories as to Why Bluray Should Win as the Leading HDM format DAMNSAM77 High Definition Smackdown 48 10-18-2007 08:45 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off