Can HD-DVD Survive? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-18-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Can HD-DVD Survive?

Hey Everybody
Well my title says it all. I am an HD-DVD guy. I would like to hear from the HD-DVD fans on what they think. What about how big it apparently is in Europe? Will that help? What can save it? I am new here so go easy on me.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:41 AM

What is HD DVD trying to survive through?

The technology (and blu-ray technology for that matter) is in their infancy. The technology behind it, not necessarily as a movie format, still continues to grow. Eventually, it will replace the DVD format (again, not necessarily referring to DVD as a movie-only format). When, I don't know. But the media end of HD DVD won't just dry up because it didn't work well as a way to broadcast higher resolution movies.

But I assume you're asking if HD DVD movies will still exist in a few months. My guess is it'll share the shelf with blu-ray for a while (five to ten years I'm guessing) and both formats (as movie formats, not storage media) will be abandoned in favor of digital distribution as that technology grows and grows.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:04 AM

I believe that Blu-ray and HD DVD will co-exist much like DVD-R and DVD+R. In the end Dual Format players will be the norm and the movies format won't matter.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Both will live

Hi

I think both formats will live for a while and yes will again be replaced by the next best thing ever!
I have an HD DVD A2 player, but as prices for the BluRay players drop I may get one of those. At least they are renting the BD disks at our local video store, I have to drive to Blockbuster 15 miles to rent HD DVD's and who knows how long they will continue to rent HD DVD?
I really enjoy the HD DVD disks that we have and I buy new ones every month and I will be picking up Blue Planet today.
I think that HD DVD will survive and today I fully support that format, will I support BluRay? If the price of the hardware comes down to a reasonable level, maybe.
Regards
Old 08-18-2007, 03:30 PM

Hey
Thanks guys. Did make me feel a little bit better. Just heard a media report of BR selling 2 to 1 in sales against hddvd. But my friend mentioned something along the lines of that in the uk and europe HDDVD has more support or sales. What is the info on that?

OH BTW, I do live in the US.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicGuru926 View Post
Hey
Thanks guys. Did make me feel a little bit better. Just heard a media report of BR selling 2 to 1 in sales against hddvd. But my friend mentioned something along the lines of that in the uk and europe HDDVD has more support or sales. What is the info on that?

OH BTW, I do live in the US.
Well that depends on which "camp" you ask.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8097
Old 08-18-2007, 04:42 PM

I would recommend waiting till christmas( for either blu-ray or HD DVD)

2-1 sales may not mean much in a small market but support at all levels (CE studios and consumers) may lean blu just cause of sales

PS im trying to leave the smackdown out
Old 08-18-2007, 05:05 PM

I own a Blu-ray player (PS3) and I was using the HD-DVD add on for the 360 for the last few months. I enjoyed the picture quality on the HDs a lot more than what I was seeing from the Blu-Rays...so I finally decided to invest in a stand alone HD-DVD player.

Now that I dropped $300 on an HD-A20 HD-DVD player, I'm really hoping that HD-DVD can "survive."

Either way though, if there is one lesson I have learned from video games...its that as long as you have the system/player and you have some games/movies to play on it then it doesn't really matter if the format "survives" or not. All that matters is that YOU get enjoyment out of the format. The reason I say this, is I bought a Dreamcast the day it came out on 9/9/99. That system got its ass severely kicked by the PS2, and its supposed "lifespan" was only about 2 years. The system's lifespan didn't matter to me though, because I ended up buying about 90 games for the system, I enjoyed all of them, and to this day I still play my Dreamcast more than my Playstation 2 and Playstation 3 combined...

So really, this whole "format war" is kind of stupid IMHO. I buy both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies. Even though I would like studios to keep releasing movies on HD-DVD...it wont be the end of the world if it "loses the war." I'll always have at least 35 HD-DVDs (the number I currently own) that I can enjoy on my player...and if the format goes under, whats the worst that will happen...people will need to get rid of the HD-DVDs quickly and you'll probably be able to buy a crap load of HD-DVDs, for YOU YOURSELF to enjoy, for really cheap.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Formerly candymangt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
I own a Blu-ray player (PS3) and I was using the HD-DVD add on for the 360 for the last few months. I enjoyed the picture quality on the HDs a lot more than what I was seeing from the Blu-Rays...so I finally decided to invest in a stand alone HD-DVD player.

Now that I dropped $300 on an HD-A20 HD-DVD player, I'm really hoping that HD-DVD can "survive."

Either way though, if there is one lesson I have learned from video games...its that as long as you have the system/player and you have some games/movies to play on it then it doesn't really matter if the format "survives" or not. All that matters is that YOU get enjoyment out of the format. The reason I say this, is I bought a Dreamcast the day it came out on 9/9/99. That system got its ass severely kicked by the PS2, and its supposed "lifespan" was only about 2 years. The system's lifespan didn't matter to me though, because I ended up buying about 90 games for the system, I enjoyed all of them, and to this day I still play my Dreamcast more than my Playstation 2 and Playstation 3 combined...

So really, this whole "format war" is kind of stupid IMHO. I buy both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies. Even though I would like studios to keep releasing movies on HD-DVD...it wont be the end of the world if it "loses the war." I'll always have at least 35 HD-DVDs (the number I currently own) that I can enjoy on my player...and if the format goes under, whats the worst that will happen...people will need to get rid of the HD-DVDs quickly and you'll probably be able to buy a crap load of HD-DVDs, for YOU YOURSELF to enjoy, for really cheap.
Very nice post. I look at it the same way, if HD-DVD dies, I will always have the movies and player to play them on. Plus, you know that other HiDef companies will take the HD-DVD technology and incorporate it in their players so those with this format could also enjoy them on a BluRay player, etc. just like the DVD technology will always be a part of these players.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:32 PM

When PS3 sales decline this holiday BDA will need to resort to more propaganda. However you spin it PS3 aint selling well