HD-A2 Mystery Optical vs. HDMI - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-17-2007, 08:48 PM

Question HD-A2 Mystery Optical vs. HDMI

I have been through two copies of the Road Warrior and both have faint to no sound on the surround.

At first I thought it may be a fluke disc, but my buddy assures me he hears very active surround information, in fact the opening prologue is coming through his surround back cahannels, where as mine is in mono through the front.

I also own the standard def version and the sound on it is very active in the surround especially the opening tracking shot to the Inteceptor. So I can't believe that Warner's just put out a a sub standard audio track.

Well I just tried his disc on my system and the same reults no activity in the surrounds.

We both have HD-A2's I am conecting to an Outlaw Pre/Pro 990 through the optical on Bitstream setting he is connecting through HDMI to an Onkyo 674 which supports audio. He is using the Bitstream setting also.

Here is the rub, I am decoding in the player and downcoverting to DTS, He passing what I think is the core only converted PCM through HDMI (The Track is DD PLus). So why the difference?????? Anybody??? Josh???
Old 08-18-2007, 08:07 AM

9 times out of 10 its your a/v receiver set up. My A2 is setup the same, i use optical because receiver does not have HDMI and I get the DTS downmixed. I have never had a problem at all with this set up. It also sounds quite a bit better than SD-DVD. So I would go through your receiver settings see what you can come up with. Also, stupid question, but in your A2's setup under audio, the SDiF is set to bitstream correct? Also check a regular DVD in the machine as well. I have never heard of the audio just magically not working from the optical out from any of the toshiba units.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 PM

i am currently using my A2 hdmi out to my new hitachi plasma 42" using input 2, from my hitachi i am using the dedicated optical out to my jvc optical in and the difference is unbelievable using a home theatre system vs the standard sound that comes out of the tv, also anything that is hooked up to the hitachi uses the same optical out into my jvc, sure glad jvc put the optical out on their system and also hitachi for doing same thing, less clutter for sure, output 1 is my directv hdmi hookup also going thru to jvc
Old 08-18-2007, 09:40 PM

Check your TV manual, sometimes audio sent to the tv from the player and sent out through optical is converted to 2.0 stereo. Even if 5.1 is maintained, most audio decoders in the tv can distort the sound and decrease quality. Send your optical straight from your player to your receiver. You should hear an even larger difference. Trust me on this one.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:50 AM

Thanks for trying to help out.
Here is what I think is happening
My HD-A2 is connected to my Outlaw 990 Pre/Pro via HDMI (Video Only) and through the SPDIF for Audio. As we know all HD audio tracks are downconverted to DTS through the Optical on an HD-A2.

I have @ 30plus HD DVD's and "THe Road Warrior" is the only one that has no surround info . I am positive my system is wired properly.

In the HD-A2 Set up menu I have the SPDIF set to Bitstream and the HDMI set to downmixed PCM (Per the manual). I Know my Pre/Pro (Receiver) is configured correctly, all of my standard def and other HD DVD's sound fine.

Now I just put on my old standard def Road Warrior DVD and the surround info is fine in DD 5.1. The surrounds are very active.

Either Warners has put out an inferiior audio track and nobody remembers the old one or On this particular disc the HD-A2 causes an error when downconverting to DTS through the SPDIF.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Does anyone have their HD-A2 connected to a receiver using HDMI audio with the HD-A2 set to either PCM or Auto in the HDMI Setup? With current firmware 2.2 updates. If So check out "The Road Warrior".
Old 08-19-2007, 01:14 AM

It appears to be the transfer which nobody seems to pick-up in reviews.
If a reviewer would take the time to compare the audio from the standard def release to the new one it would be obvious Warners screwed-up.
Check out this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...tpost&t=845394