HD-A2 vs. BD10 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-14-2007, 10:30 PM

Default HD-A2 vs. BD10

So my Toshiba HD-A2 came in today, total shipped was only 248.88 from Amazon.

I'm very pleased with it, I bought a RCA HDV5000 at Walmart last week, hooked it up and hated the load times and the style of the player. It needed firmware fromt he start, so I never got around to actually watching an HD DVD on it.

Anyway, I bought a Panasonic BD10 last week, so I thought I would compare the two since I've got the A2 in my hands now.

First off, I like the style of the A2 over the BD10 a lot. The BD10 just looks outdated from the start and the flip down front panel gets annoying. The A2 is slimmer, has a more modern look, and even it's such a small thing, I like the red ring around the power button which turns blue when on. It's little things such as that which can make a big impression. However, the BD10 seems to be a more solid unit. When opening both, the BD10 is very smooth and the tray feels sturdy. The A2's tray rattles and feels like thin cheap plastic.

The remotes, I don't really like either one. The Toshiba remote looks about 10 years old straight from the box. It also just feels cheap. The Panasonic remote feels better, but looks "toyish" with it's red, green, blue, and yellow buttons at the bottom. It's very basic and just reminds me of something you get with a cheap video game.

As for PQ and AQ, I can't really tell a difference. Blu-rays look good on the BD10 and HD DVDs look good on the A2. They both seem to upconvert standard DVDs about the same.

With all the said, I'm very happy with the A2. For the price, it can't be beat. Considering it is an entry level player whereas the BD10 is midrange, it stacks up very well and except for a few things having a cheap look, feel, or sound it seems great.

I would certainly recommend it, even knowing there's a higher quality HD DVD player for just a little more $$.