Is the problem my HD DVD player, or HDTV? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-14-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Is the problem my HD DVD player, or HDTV?

Howdy all,

New member here. Thanks to my old Elite projection HDTV biting the dust, I just upgraded my home theater with the following:

Toshiba HD-XA2 player
Samsung HL-T6189S DLP HDTV
Onkyo TSXR805 receiver

These are all fairly new models, all with HDMI v1.3.

I'm experiencing some issues when playing HD DVDs. In some scenes, I see a very noticeable strobing light, that superimposes over the image. This is most noticeable in darker areas of the scene. This happens with multiple HD DVDs (Planet Earth and 300, so far), but only in some scenes. The rate of the flashing is maybe around 60 to 80 Hz, to my naked eye. Some scenes are crystal-clear, but others have this annoying issue.

I'm running HDMI cables. It occurs regardless of whether I run HDMI directly to the HDTV, or if I switch it through the receiver. It also occurred with the TV and player in multiple locations in the room.

Does anyone know whether this is likely caused by the HD DVD player, or the HDTV?

Thanks for your help

Todd
Old 08-14-2007, 06:24 PM

I've had weird issues before with a bad HDMI cable, so you might try replacing the cable that runs to your TV.

Other than that, you might want to try one or more of the following:

1) Calibrate your HDTV with a Digital Video Essentials HD DVD (or a similar calibration disc).
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-...7129281&sr=8-1
This disc is also available for rental through Netflix

2) Make sure your HD-XA2 is running the latest firmware update.
Discussion on the latest update is here: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=14607

3) Hook up your HD-XA2 to a different HDTV to rule out or confirm the possibility of a problem with the player itself.

Last edited by WesleyTech.com; 08-14-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll take it to my father's, and test it on his HDTV with a different HDMI cable. His old TV crapped out too, lucky for me.

Todd
Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM

Do you ever notice this when watching regular television, or a secondary source. Also try maybe using component out just to see if it still exists.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resevilfan86 View Post
Do you ever notice this when watching regular television, or a secondary source. Also try maybe using component out just to see if it still exists.
No, I don't notice this when watching Directv in standard and hi-def. I also haven't noticed it on my regular DVD player.

I could try component out too. It's a small nightmare to do much though, as the components and TV are in an in-wall entertainment center with crappy access to cables.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Banned

Default samsung tvs

I hate'm....they make good pc monitors..and the bd-91200 blue ray player is excellent..but I 've never come across a samsung lcd or plasma tv I liked or was happy calibrating..so a dlp projection tv can only be worse..but that is true of just about every projection tv these days..they look awful ..even in HD...I'd return it for a good Panasonic plasma..they are the best..if lcd is more to your liking..then the Sony xbr2 or xbr3 tv's are the best lcd's out there
Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
I hate'm....they make good pc monitors..and the bd-91200 blue ray player is excellent..but I 've never come across a samsung lcd or plasma tv I liked or was happy calibrating..so a dlp projection tv can only be worse..but that is true of just about every projection tv these days..they look awful ..even in HD...I'd return it for a good Panasonic plasma..they are the best..if lcd is more to your liking..then the Sony xbr2 or xbr3 tv's are the best lcd's out there
I chose the Samsung because it exactly fits my custom entertainment center cabinet, which was designed for the Pioneer Elite that went belly-up. There is not a plasma or LCD that fits the cabinet's dimensions well, so my choice was limited.

However, I did a careful side-by-side with a plasma at the showroom. The plasma was a bit brighter, but the pictures were close enough. I love the picture quality on the Samsung in 1080p- it's gorgeous. Not quite as gorgeous as a plasma, but it also fits my cabinet. And this is the latest Samsung with LED DLP, which is a nice improvement in picture quality over previous models. I'm not a videophile either, so my standards aren't quite as high as some.

So, if I can fix this weird strobing problem, I will be satisfied with the Samsung.

Todd
Old 08-14-2007, 11:54 PM

the only problem Todd is that you have NO way of knowing anything about the settings of sets in the "showroom", so trying to compare picture quality at a store is pretty much meaningless IMO. sorry for the bad news.
just a tip for future reference.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:08 AM

Well Pioneer always showed outstanding picture quality no matter what. But yes, it is correct you shouldn't trust the picture based solely as you see at your local Best Buy. Believe me, I used to work there. If you want to see how a tv is suppose to look before you buy at a retail store like BB or CC then ask them to hook up one of their hd-dvd/bd players to it using HDMI. That always shows you pretty much the maximum picture quality you can get and the most accurate way of presenting that. Of course keep in mind that it will STILL not be 100% accurate.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:51 PM

Does your Samsung have a light sensor? I know the Sharp and LG LCD's do and it seemed like they did something like that quite a bit. If it does have a sensor there should be a menu option to turn it off. If not, I'm not sure what else it could be? Sounds very odd... Could be a ballist issue with the lamp as well?