Which or your standard DVDs look best on your A2? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-04-2007, 06:35 PM

Question Which or your standard DVDs look best on your A2?

Right, now I'm fairly impressed with King Kong: Extended Cut...

And the Looney Tunes golden collection. They were clear to begin with in SD and they look amazing in near HD.

Any computer generated stuff: i.e. Monster House and Cars look fantastic as well.

How about you guys?

HD DVDs that I own: Batman Begins, Corpse Bride, MI:III, V for Vendetta, Superman Returns, Superman II: The Donner Cut, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Lady in the Water, (soon Clerks II, Wolf Creek, & Forbidden Planet)

Last edited by John32; 01-04-2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: misspelled a word
Old 01-05-2007, 05:32 AM

Finding Nemo via HD-A1 on my 1080P display is absolutely gorgeous. Even my wife commented on the quality (so that means something).
Old 01-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

I think this is better suited in HD-DVD hardware!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John32 View Post
Right, now I'm fairly impressed with King Kong: Extended Cut...

And the Looney Tunes golden collection. They were clear to begin with in SD and they look amazing in near HD.

Any computer generated stuff: i.e. Monster House and Cars look fantastic as well.

How about you guys?

HD DVDs that I own: Batman Begins, Corpse Bride, MI:III, V for Vendetta, Superman Returns, Superman II: The Donner Cut, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Lady in the Water, (soon Clerks II, Wolf Creek, & Forbidden Planet)
The upcovert on my A2 via HDMI is not compatible with err rather my HDTV has an older DVI interface(which does not support HDMI specification completely), so sadly I can't enjoy any upconverts to 720p or 1080i. However, standard 480p, looks and sounds just as good as most DVD players on the market.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:31 PM

Yeah, unfortunately my five-year-old Toshiba HDTV has no HDMI, so I cannot upconvert, either. However, I would like to make a "backup" copy of a few of my DVDs and see how they look when upconverted. I'm curious to see the difference.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atouk View Post
Yeah, unfortunately my five-year-old Toshiba HDTV has no HDMI, so I cannot upconvert, either. However, I would like to make a "backup" copy of a few of my DVDs and see how they look when upconverted. I'm curious to see the difference.
Are you planning to upconvert on playback through your PC?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:51 PM

Overseer-
Yea, I've heard that most computer animated titles are going to basically look great regardless of display.

I was watching my standard DVD copy of 'Mulholland Drive' last night and wow, it really upconverted well....very impressive picture quality.

I've got a Panasonic 32" LCD HD TV, it's an '05 model and has the HDMI port which I just connected directly to my A2. Picture quality is really beautiful.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Are you planning to upconvert on playback through your PC?
Possibly. Otherwise, I was thinking of recruiting a good friend of mind who's an "expert" on copying DVDs (I've never done it myself) and giving him a few from my library to burn. That way I can put them in my A2 and see the upconversion for myself. I more curious than anything else.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelizard View Post
The upcovert on my A2 via HDMI is not compatible with err rather my HDTV has an older DVI interface(which does not support HDMI specification completely), so sadly I can't enjoy any upconverts to 720p or 1080i. However, standard 480p, looks and sounds just as good as most DVD players on the market.
Do you mean your HDTV's DVI interface is not HDCP compliant? My 3 year old Sony () 57" rear projection HDTV has only one DVI input, but fortunately it is HDCP compliant. So with an HDMI>DVI cable from my XA1, upconversion is outstanding - with the right SD DVD. Except for Superbit versions, avoid Sony DVD's like the plague. The Fifth Element & Starship Troopers Superbit DVD's look almost HD, while the SD DVD version of The Covenant (the BR version recently rated 5 stars for PQ here) had both Wide Screen & Full Screen versions squeezed onto the same disk, and the resulting upconversion display looked worse than Dish Network's mpeg2 local SD channels.

My Batman Begins & V for Vendetta DVD's upconvert so well I haven't upgraded to the HD DVD versions. I know there's always grumbling about discussing SD DVD's in a High Def forum, but the excellent upconverting quality is one thing that nudged me into buying HD DVD. Even if all my favorite movies were to magically be released on HD DVD, I'm too frugle to immediately upgrade my DVD collection.

My gameplan these days is to Netflix the SD DVD's of movies I want to see from Blu-Ray only studios. Disney DVD's almost always look great; Pirates of the Caribbean 2 looked excellent upconverted. Fox DVD's vary greatly in quality. X-Men 3 was unwatchable for me.

Last edited by Cochise; 01-08-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:09 PM

X-3 is unwatchable for many reasons... Mainly because they slaughtered a legendary comic book. I also agree that Fifth and Starship look AWESOME in SUPERBIT. I was interested in seeing a lot of people capping the MPEG-2 from dishnetworks and then reencoding them with AVC 720p on Nero Recode and playing them on their HD-DVD players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Do you mean your HDTV's DVI interface is not HDCP compliant? My 3 year old Sony () 57" rear projection HDTV has only one DVI input, but fortunately it is HDCP compliant. So with an HDMI>DVI cable from my XA1, upconversion is outstanding - with the right SD DVD. Except for Superbit versions, avoid Sony DVD's like the plague. The Fifth Element & Starship Troopers Superbit DVD's look almost HD, while the SD DVD version of The Covenant (the BR version recently rated 5 stars for PQ here) had both Wide Screen & Full Screen versions squeezed onto the same disk, and the resulting upconversion display looked worse than Dish Network's mpeg2 local SD channels.

My Batman Begins & V for Vendetta DVD's upconvert so well I haven't upgraded to the HD DVD versions. I know there's always grumbling about discussing SD DVD's in a High Def forum, but the excellent upconverting quality is one thing that nudged me into buying HD DVD. Even if all my favorite movies were to magically be released on HD DVD, I'm too frugle to immediately upgrade my DVD collection.

My gameplan these days is to Netflix the SD DVD's of movies I want to see from Blu-Ray only studios. Disney DVD's almost always look great; Pirates of the Caribbean 2 looked excellent upconverted. Fox DVD's vary greatly in quality. X-Men 3 was unwatchable for me.