Reon Chip - How good? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-12-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Reon Chip - How good?

How good is the Reon chip on the top end players?

I read that the A2 does a great job at upscaling, so how much better is the Reon chip than "regular" upconverting?

I've been looking for a "vs." review but haven't found one.

The whole reason for me is, I have a big collection of stantard dvd's (453), and alot of those are sets of TV seasons (older sets like Diffrent Strokes, Jeffersons, Next Generation - you know 4:3 TV shows).

Would it be worth it to get an XA2 (or other Reon chip player) over another cheaper player? With the $300+ difference in price I could get a bunch of HD movies to play in it.

Thanks!

-DE
Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 PM

So no one can say?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 AM

Here's a couple of reviews. The A2 is a nice upconvert, but equal to the A1, which is not bad. The A20, I've read, is a surprisingly good upconvert player -- much better at de-interlacing than the A1 or A2 and comparable to Oppo. Finally, the XA2 is the best on the market, rivaling Denon and Integra. With the recent announcements, I don't know which to upgrade to: the XA2, A35, or the new Onkyo.

Either way, read these and choose for yourself: A2 review, A20 review, and XA2 review.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 08-17-2007, 07:28 AM

The Reon chip uses an algorithm to recreate the picture on a pixel by pixel basis where the other players do on a block basis. The end result is a better recreation of the picture. Now is there a night and day difference between the two, I think that will all depend on your equipment. The biggest areas I have seen improvements on is the Reons ability to recreate smooth diagonal lines where as the other players are more jagged on the same tests.

One other thing I could recommend is picking up the HQV test disc. They go into some detail how their chip works and includes rendered samples of video processed with their chip versus other chips on the market. I personally was impressed with this disc but am content with my A2.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:14 PM

Well, I don't have the XA2, but I do have the Samsung BD-P1200 which, at this time, is the only other player on the market with the Reon. Are you specifically looking for a HD player ? If not, then go with the Samsung Blu ray 1200. I have the A2, and I have comapired viewing sd dvd's on both and the Samsung wins by a good margin. Also, fyi, Samsung will be replacing the 1200 with the 1400 in a few months, but that player WILL NOT have the Reon in it. They will put the Reon in their top of the line player.

I have both the Toshiba and Samsung going directly into my Pioneer Elite PRO-FHD1 using HDMI as my reciever does not have HDMI inputs. And speaking of recievers, Onkyo has a new reciever with the Reon processor in it. It's the TX-SR875 and getting pretty good reviews.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:22 AM

Was the stuttering issue reported in the XA2 review ever fixed in one of the many firmware updates?