Silicon Optix announces Reon chip powers HD-XA2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-03-2007, 02:10 AM

Default Silicon Optix announces Reon chip powers HD-XA2

http://www.siliconoptix.com/chipProd...elease/Toshiba

Quote:
San Jose, CA—(Jan 2, 2007)—Silicon Optix, the leader in programmable video processors, announced today that its Reon-VX HQV video processor will be featured in Toshiba’s new top-of-the-line HD DVD player, the HD-XA2.

“As a reference standard for high-end video, HQV’s video processor complements Toshiba’s HD-XA2 HD DVD player with the capability to produce amazing detail and clarity from high-definition (HD) material,” said Jodi Sally, Vice President of Marketing, Toshiba America Consumer Products Digital A/V Group.

HQV’s true 1080i-to-1080p HD deinterlacing delivers the sharpest, most detailed HD images possible by employing per-pixel motion-adaptive algorithms and a sophisticated multidirectional diagonal filter that ensures video free of jaggies. The powerful HQV processing engine also provides per-pixel motion-adaptive noise reduction, detail enhancement, and advanced scaling to deliver premium-quality upconverted SD material.

Toshiba’s new high-end HD-XA2 HD DVD player is designed to output 1920x1080p, the highest-definition signal currently available, via High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI™), which adds support for Deep Color technology.

The HD-XA2 HD DVD player also incorporates a 297MHz / 12 bit Video DAC with high-quality 4x oversampling for increased bandwidth, for true playback of an HD picture to a video source. The HD-XA2 comes with a Picture Setting function that allows customers to optimize picture quality via settings for color, contrast, brightness, edge enhancement, and block noise, among others. The HD-XA2’s 1080p output capability complements Toshiba’s Cinema Series® Pro LCD TVs, which provide true HD 1080p input capability via HDMI.

HD DVD players support leading-edge efficient video-compression standards, including MPEG-4 AVC and VC-1, as well as MPEG2. To meet the latest advancements in audio/video interfaces connect to HDTV sets via HDMI—the multi-industry-supported, all-digital A/V connection capable of providing the transmission of uncompressed digital video and multichannel audio on a single cable.

The HD-XA2 outputs HD DVD content through the HDMI interface at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. Through the HDMI interface, standard-definition DVDs can also be upconverted to match the resolution of HD displays. Because the conversion takes place in the player, the signal remains free of digital-to-analog conversion artifacts. Like all other current HD DVD players, the HD-XA2 is backward-compatible so users can continue to enjoy their libraries of current DVD and CD software.

For more information on Silicon Optix’s HQV processing, please go to www.HQV.com.

The Toshiba HD-XA2 is now shipping with a Suggested Retail Price of $999.
I'm definitely looking forward to reading a few solid reviews on this player. Initially I thought the delta between the A2 and the XA2 was too large but that was before finding out the Reon chip was included. For the well heeled amongst us who demand the very best. Enjoy.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

The article says that the XA2 is now shipping, are there any reviews for this yet?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:43 PM

Well, I was all set to get the A2 but man, I might have to change my priorities a bit. The XA2 sounds like a real winner, especially with the 24p firmware update planned for soon after launch. I wonder who I can bug to get me vendor cost.