XBOX HD Add-On really loud... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-06-2007, 02:15 AM

Default XBOX HD Add-On really loud...

I bought "300" on HD-DVD even though I am still thinking on buying a blu ray player to have both. And noticed that when watching the movie the XBOX gets really loud.( It sounds like a loud fan) Does anyone here with the XBOX Add-On have the same problem? And when I turn off the console the HD player turns off and you can still hear the sound it's annoying as hell so I have to unplug it.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules610 View Post
I bought "300" on HD-DVD even though I am still thinking on buying a blu ray player to have both. And noticed that when watching the movie the XBOX gets really loud.( It sounds like a loud fan) Does anyone here with the XBOX Add-On have the same problem? And when I turn off the console the HD player turns off and you can still hear the sound it's annoying as hell so I have to unplug it.

I have not noticed anything like that.. though if it is there i may just be use to it??
Old 08-06-2007, 02:55 AM

Same here, no issues with noise. The fans aren't usually that loud in the 360. The noise usually comes from the disc drive. But the add-on drive SHOULD be quite quiet. Like him though, maybe I'm just used to it.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules610 View Post
Its the 360 unit itself, its just loud. I sold my add on because it annoyed me. For some reason i dont really care about the loud 360 when playing games, but movies, it really does matter
Old 08-06-2007, 04:06 AM

As the other posters said no problem with the add on here: in my specific case also my 360 is very quite but I have heard plenty of reports of it being noisy.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:09 AM

The DVD drive on the 360 is louder than the HD DVD drive. The fans usually only get loud on graphic intensive games, at least that's when I notice it the loudest, or at all. I also have my computer in the same room as everything else and it makes more noise, maybe that's why I don't notice it.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 AM

so what???? when you watching an HD movie ... the movie sound should cover the drive sound ...
Old 08-06-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivasawa_Jin View Post
so what???? when you watching an HD movie ... the movie sound should cover the drive sound ...
Exactly! I crank up mine so loud I can't even hear it over the movie...and I have an Intercooler on it too!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:34 PM

I don't normally notice too much noise coming from the 360, but I noticed the other day while watching the Fountain in HD.

One thing I did that helped was to buy four grommets from the hardware store and place each corner of the 360 on a grommet - I have mine laying horizontal. Anyway, this cut the noise quite a bit for me at least. It now seems to hum vs. spin before - hard to explain, but worth the $1.79 spent on grommets at ACE Hardware.

Hope that helps someone.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Groshko View Post
I've had no problems either. But I've heard that if you leave a game disc in the main drive the unit could be loud - but can't confirm.

It does seem to be less intrusive if there's no game disc in the machine, i tried that tonight, and it did seem to help a bit...or it was wishful thinking, not really sure.