Screen tearing? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-02-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Screen tearing?

Hi guys, I have a question regarding other people's experiences with screen tearing & HD-DVD. I have an Xbox 360 HD-DVD add on and a Sony KDS60A2000 tv. They are connected via component cables using 1080i on the 360. I have never had any problems watching HD-DVD on it and neither has anyone else who has viewed it in my house.

However just recently one of my friends mentioned all he sees is screen tearing. When he mentioned it, I asked other people in the room if they could see it and nobody else says that they can see it. This confuses me. Is it possible for only one person to see screen tearing and nobody else? I haven't seen anybody else report problems like this. He is the only person out of everyone who has seen my HD-DVD setup that has reported seeing this. We were watching the following DVD's while trying to see what he was seeing:

-Serenity
-Chronicles of Riddick
-Bourne Supremacy

I have tried doing searches on the net, and on various forums but i'm coming up empty. He said it was all over the place on the Serenity dvd and most apparent there.

I said to him that he must be seeing things as nobody else can see it. I would think that screen tearing would be something that would be noticeable by everyone, not just by a select few people like the DLP "rainbow effect".

-Thanks, RP
Old 01-02-2007, 04:02 PM

First, I would ask your friend if he is "biased" to PS3 and Blu-ray.
Then, I would suggest making an appointment with an eye doctor, because he either has superb vision or might be developing problems in the lens or retina.

Sorry, but I think you have a friend who is just very picky viewer or just doesn't like the fact you have something he wants. Just a thought.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:24 PM

Hi eNoize, thanks for the info.

-Regards, RP
Old 01-03-2007, 07:42 PM

Exact same setup my friend has (xBox with 60A2000), and I don't notice any problems watching King Kong.

If you don't notice it, even when your friend pointed it out, don't give it another thought!

-John

BTW, what setup does your friend have that he doesn't have this so-called "tearing"?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:15 PM

He doesn't have an hd setup, he has an old Toshiba 4:3 tv. He is a fan of blu-ray/ps-3 and the wii however.

-Thanks, RP
Old 01-03-2007, 09:31 PM

Well, then I think that answers a lot. Don't let the comments worry you about your setup. When I bought mine, I had to impress my wife first before anyone else. I got her convinced and that's all that matters to me.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:19 AM

eNoize may have been correct intially when he remarked that the friend may need to have his vision checked. He could be suffering from a variation of astigmatism, something he shouldn't ignore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astigmatism
Old 01-04-2007, 11:36 AM

Or more like blu-matism.

Ah, stupid jokes. It's still the very early morning for me.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I had to impress my wife first before anyone else. I got her convinced and that's all that matters to me.
I'll second that! (My wife, not yours.)