HD DVD Writers - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-03-2007, 08:08 PM

Default HD DVD Writers

Anyone know when Hd dvd internal writers for desktops will be available?

Last edited by ed081873; 08-03-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Are they even planning to release such a thing? Storage wise they are pointless since BD writers are already available and offer significantly more storage.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:30 PM

Only I'm willing to bet HD DVD writers will be significantly cheaper too, since the world of Blu seems to be synonymous with overpriced

And seriously, $20 for 1 Blu-Ray disk? I've seen friggin Blu-Ray movies for 19, and those actually have a movie on them. God forbid the burner has a hiccup, you're out $20
Old 08-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
Only I'm willing to bet HD DVD writers will be significantly cheaper too, since the world of Blu seems to be synonymous with overpriced

And seriously, $20 for 1 Blu-Ray disk? I've seen friggin Blu-Ray movies for 19, and those actually have a movie on them. God forbid the burner has a hiccup, you're out $20
I guess you slept through the early days of DVD Burners and DVD-R prices...

Last edited by MrE; 08-04-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrENGLISH View Post
Are they even planning to release such a thing? Storage wise they are pointless since BD writers are already available and offer significantly more storage.
It's not all about storage. People who own an HD DVD player are going to want the option of creating their own High Definition videos and then burning them to a disc that is compatible with their high definition player (HD DVD-R).
Old 08-04-2007, 07:46 PM

B]PC Drives (HD-DVD)[/B]
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Pat...0659c00002f5e/
Toshiba SD-H802A HD-DVD ROM (Desktop Drive)
Toshiba SD-H903A HD-DVD Writer (Desktop Drive)
Toshiba SD-L902A Mobile HD-DVD Writer
Toshiba SD-L912A Mobile HD-DVD Rewriter

ASUS HD-DVD Rom - HR-0205T
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...70608/133879//

LG GGW-H10N Super Multi Drive supports both Blu-Ray & HD-DVD
http://www.dailytech.com/LGs+Bluray+...rticle6458.htm

Hitachi GGW-H20N Combo SATA Drive supports both Blu-Ray & HD-DVD
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/06/12...r-hd-dvd-read/

Only thing is I don't know of any release dates and the only ones that burn HD DVD seem to be the toshibas
Old 08-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyTech.com View Post
It's not all about storage. People who own an HD DVD player are going to want the option of creating their own High Definition videos and then burning them to a disc that is compatible with their high definition player (HD DVD-R).
I understand that... but now you are cutting that pie even smaller because most consumers will not be interested in doing this. I'd imagine 3rd party authoring software would be included since pro apps from Adobe don't support HD DVD authoring (yet - I say yet because they could add support if the demand is there).
Old 08-05-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I understand that... but now you are cutting that pie even smaller because most consumers will not be interested in doing this. I'd imagine 3rd party authoring software would be included since pro apps from Adobe don't support HD DVD authoring (yet - I say yet because they could add support if the demand is there).
There are already 3rd party authoring software that supports HD DVD, such as Pinnacle Studio Ultimate Version 11 and while this may not be "pro level" it would be good enough for most home movies and beginingers.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:18 PM

And then there is always the demand for a method to backup your existing HD DVD's.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I guess you slept through the early days of DVD Burners and DVD-R prices...
No I know they were expensive, but the "new product" markups are ridiculous. It's not like the technology to produce them becomes that much better in 1 or 2 years to justify the big drop in cost, it's simply low demand that results in such a high cost. If they started out cheaper than maybe more people would consider them. But I know this is not the way of the business world.

And FYI for everyone, HD DVDs can be burned onto a standard DVD. The video data just has to be equal or less than the disk capacity. So you may only be able to get a short home movie on it.