Is it worth it to get the HD DVD Add On with This TV? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-03-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Is it worth it to get the HD DVD Add On with This TV?

I posted this on another forum and there were various opinion but I wanted to hear what you guys had to say:

So this is my TV: http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/t...?page=Features

Quote:
4:3 DynaFlat™ HDTV Anti-Distortion/Anti-Glare CRT
ProPicture™ 3-Stage Video Enhancement
Total DSP (Digital Signal Processing), Converts Standard Analog TV Signals to Digital, Compensates for Varying Signal Strengths
ProChip™ Plus Progressive Scan Display
3 Line Comb Filter
Invar Shadow Mask
Velocity Scan Modulation
2 Dual Digital 1080i/480p/480i Connections
1 S-Video Input
1 Side & 3 Rear A/V Inputs
1 Rear A/V Monitor Output
Universal Remote
Side speaker Design
20 Watts Audio Output
2-Way Sound System

My question is this -- will I benefit from the HD DVD 360 add on? I know my TV is pretty much a first generation HDTV and the maximum res is 1080i. I use compononent to connect the system as there is no HDMI port. All of this is sort of why I've never bothered with a next generation player.

I'm also sort of unclear what exactly I need to get the best picture possible in terms of connections. I thought that Component was fine but lately I've been hearing that HDMI is really the way to go. I assumed though that since my TV can only do 1080i, component is fine.

A couple of points: I DO notice a difference between HD brodcasts and regular TV. Also DVD's (regular one's) look better that BOTH my regular cable AND my supposedly HD brodcasts. I'm not sure why this is although I suspect that it's a compression issue.

YES I know I need a new TV ... it's not going to be happening though for at least the next 5 months or so. With my current first generation HDTV is it worth me grabbing the HD DVD Add on and will I notice a difference? I really don't want to continue buying regular DVD's anymore because eventually I will upgrade one way or the other.

Thanks for any advice you guys might have.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:40 AM

Sure will notice a difference over SD version of movie, honestly it isnt going to be the 'ohhh' factor like on a 60 incher, but none the less the difference will be there. Please remember that there is a BIG difference in the storage size of a SD DVD to that of an HD-DVD, that extra storage means a highier transfer and therefore a highier PQ.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:20 AM

Just my opinion but on a 4:3 27" screen the difference will be minimal. On my 32" sony I had to get a bigger LCD screen to really appreciate the difference.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:51 PM

ye it is worth it, i had my HD DVD hooked up to my monitor (only 19") for a few weeks and i liked it.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:35 PM

i just got the xbox hd dvd for my 30" dell monitor so i can watch my hd dvd's on my computer!! vista and nvida 8800 gtx sli smooth!!! can't wait should get it in the mail early next week
Old 08-03-2007, 05:22 PM

One other thing I forgot to mention in my OP, I don't currently have a regular DVD player (I use my 360 to watch standard DVD's).
Old 08-03-2007, 06:12 PM

Keep in mind that if you get a standalone you will enjoy the phenenomenal benefits of upscaling over hdmi when you DO get a new tv. This is a tough one. This will be an awesome TV to get Star Trek for because it's 4:3. Remember there is some HD-DVDs that ARE fullscreen. (Casablance, Robin Hood etc.)
One other thing, when you DO get a new tv, don't ditch this one. You will really appreciate 4:3 when more 4:3 content comes out IMO.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:47 AM

yeah ... you will enjoy hd with this TV