Problem with A2o... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-01-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Problem with A2o...

so i just got my a2o today and was excited to using it tonight and having an a2 for a brief period of time, i knew how to navigate through the menu. so i set the time and started to update the player. well everything finished downloading i think and it turned off. i go to turn it on again and expect the minor delay for the welcome sign to go away and try to put in a disc, BUT I CAN'T. the toshiba logo doesn't even show up on my tv and the player still says welcome. nothing is showing up on the screen when i press any of the buttons (set-up or open or even menu); it just makes the stupid beeping sound. i've tried resetting it by pressing the power button for 10 seconds and it turns off. so i try rebooting it again and it does the same exact thing, nothing except the "welcome" message on the player.

anyone know what happened or what i should do?

i just got it from VE and i know it worked cause i was able to start the updates. but something in the firmware or something messed up my player.

HELP PLEASE.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:30 AM

To me it sounds like a bad flash, this sometimes happens when you update the bios on a pc. I would suggest downloading the A20 bios update and burning it to a disk. Turn on the machine, and put the disc in, then turn it off and turn it back on. The disc should let you reflash the bios, and we'll take it from there. Please keep me posted.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:35 AM

I have the exact same issue after updating to 2.1 on my XA2! I'm going to try the reflash step and see what happens.....I really hope it works!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:52 AM

Ok I tried that step and it wouldn't let me update again....kept saying that the version is up to date!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:17 AM

Yeah its definitely sounding like a bad flash, I'm not sure if it works on HD-DVD players like on PC's, but can you roll back the firmware, ie download and burn an older firmware like 2.0 and see if you can flash back.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:28 AM

but i can't open the disc drive anymore. plus nothing shows up on my screen anymore. it only says "welcome" on my hd dvd player.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:44 AM

Then I'm afraid you have to us the term of the PC world...... you 'bricked' your HD-DVD player. You'll have to return it or take it to a Toshiba auth repair shop. They will have to replace the bios chip with a new one, there is nothing else you can do, unfortunately when ever some does a firmware update on any electronic device, there is always a VERY small chance it goes wrong, and you end up with a 'brick.'
Old 08-02-2007, 02:42 AM

Ok.....I managed to do "initalize" once I got it to reboot......2nd try and now all is working fine. Hopefully it stays this way
Old 08-02-2007, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
Then I'm afraid you have to us the term of the PC world...... you 'bricked' your HD-DVD player. You'll have to return it or take it to a Toshiba auth repair shop. They will have to replace the bios chip with a new one, there is nothing else you can do, unfortunately when ever some does a firmware update on any electronic device, there is always a VERY small chance it goes wrong, and you end up with a 'brick.'
i hope this is it, but not replace the chip, but give me a NEW one. it's only like 20 minutes old. i'm going to call tomorrow morning before work and see what they say.

and i have so many hd dvds to watch and i just sold my hd dvd add-on.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 AM

I just call them on the phone and get them to send me a disc in the mail.....I have the computer line at home but I have heard so many problems with updates that way.