NTSC vs PAL HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-31-2006, 01:56 PM

Default NTSC vs PAL HD DVD

This is a complete noob question, but here it goes anyway...

Since I am obviously using a digital TV to view high-def content, would it possible with current HD DVD hardware to view a PAL HD DVD (25p/50i) in the US? I know this wasn't possible with DVD, but considering that HD DVD requires a digital HDTV to view content, is it possible to set the player to output PAL and then have my TV receive PAL signal? Additionally, would the 360 convert the PAL video stream into NTSC from the add-on?

I'm asking this only because I'd like to have the option to buy HD DVDs from Europe if they aren't released here (or in Japan, which is NTSC anyway)

It would have been nice if they had taken HDTV as an opportunity to standardize the frame rates around the world, since it's not analog anymore.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
It would have been nice if they had taken HDTV as an opportunity to standardize the frame rates around the world, since it's not analog anymore.

Many of us already purchase the items from Europe and Japan and they play fine on our machines in the US.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
They have and they haven't. So far, I believe that at least some of the European-released HD DVDs are in their original film format - ie 24 frames per second. This is the same frame rate that most HD DVD movies in the US have been encoded at. A number of folk here have imported European HD DVDs and they seem to work just fine

PAL and NTSC really only concern standard-definition releases. For high-definition, the "HD ready" specification in Europe dictates that displays sold using the logo must be capable of both 50Hz and 60Hz HD input. The same is not true in the US, however. There is also the issue of region coding which affects DVD releases but not (so far) HD DVD releases.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:12 PM

There is no PAL or NTSC in HD... it all falls under the AASC. The format WAS standardized... and that is how HD DVDs are region free. They don't have to worry about discs that are 'incompatable' with other players, because they have to be AASC compliant... and so do the machines.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99.99% sure that this is correct.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

JU1CYFRU1T is right - PAL/NTSC is not a consideration with HD.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU1CYFRU1T View Post
There is no PAL or NTSC in HD... it all falls under the AASC. The format WAS standardized... and that is how HD DVDs are region free. They don't have to worry about discs that are 'incompatable' with other players, because they have to be AASC compliant... and so do the machines.
Didn't know that, fantastic! Now if only import prices were a bit lower...