Audio through Analog 5.1 jacks...Help ! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-31-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Audio through Analog 5.1 jacks...Help !

I have a Toshiba HD-XA2 & I have an older receiver with analog multi channel inputs. I also have the latest firmware update & I set the output setting of the player to PCM. still there is a huge difference between the standard DD+ through the optical cable & the TrueHD sound through the analog inputs. am I missing something, or is there just going to be that loss until I get a receiver with HDMI inputs ? I spent the extra $ over the A2 just for that reason, seems a waste right now. any help ?

thanks
Dave
Old 08-01-2007, 03:52 PM

While I don't have the XA2, I do have the Samsung Blu ray BD-P1200 that has the 5.1 analog out and I'm guessing they're similar. On many Blu ray movies, one of the audio choices is PCM ( through 5.1 analog out ) .I have my Samsung set on bitstream ( I believe ) so try that and see what happens. I'm not at home so I can't check my setting on my player.

The audio on my Sammy, using the 5.1, comes out PCM and is much fuller and spacious than regular DD or DTS as it's uncompressed. Also make sure you have the right input selected on your reciever when using the 5.1 analog. On my Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX my input is selected by the "multi channel in" button. Check your owners manual to make sure.

Good luck
Old 08-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Banned

Did you set up the 5.1 in your XA2 menu.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalowing View Post
I have a Toshiba HD-XA2 & I have an older receiver with analog multi channel inputs. I also have the latest firmware update & I set the output setting of the player to PCM. still there is a huge difference between the standard DD+ through the optical cable & the TrueHD sound through the analog inputs. am I missing something, or is there just going to be that loss until I get a receiver with HDMI inputs ? I spent the extra $ over the A2 just for that reason, seems a waste right now. any help ?
Did you calibrate the audio levels in the XA2's setup menu with a sound level meter?
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalowing View Post

thanks
Dave
First of all dude, set the digital output to BITSTREAM, this will let you have your reciever decode normal DVDs using the optical or coax output, and if you wish, will let your receiver decode DD+ and TrueHD as DTS.

I have my Toshiba hooked up via 5.1 analog AND coax digital, I use the analog for HDDVDs and the coax for DVDs.

When you switch to your 5.1 input on your receiver for Dolby True HD and DD+, your toshiba is decoding the signal. Keep in mind, the audio will seem "lower" as far as volume goes, this is normal, you'll just have to crank it up a little more, but rest assured, it destroys the downconverted DTS signal you'd get (even though it still is 1.5mbps)
Old 08-01-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-1 View Post
First of all dude, set the digital output to BITSTREAM, this will let you have your reciever decode normal DVDs using the optical or coax output, and if you wish, will let your receiver decode DD+ and TrueHD as DTS.

I have my Toshiba hooked up via 5.1 analog AND coax digital, I use the analog for HDDVDs and the coax for DVDs.

When you switch to your 5.1 input on your receiver for Dolby True HD and DD+, your toshiba is decoding the signal.
The XA2 has a bug that requires you to set the "SPDIF Output" to "PCM" in order to apply proper speaker and bass management to the analog outputs.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ass_Issues/688
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:17 AM

I have the same issue now, but What is better? Analog 5.1 or Optical / Coax? I want to know if itīs better to choice one of them.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolin View Post
I have the same issue now, but What is better? Analog 5.1 or Optical / Coax? I want to know if itīs better to choice one of them.

they say the analog 5.1 is better using the 5.1, i am using an older sony this way and not having optical i cannot say i would notice any difference, only that it seems to be working very well this way, same way as when 5.1 first came out and the RCA dvd player had on onboard 5.1 decoder like the toshiba and i used the rca dvd player same way the analog hookup, i own a toshiba a1 at present, i feel the reason for those outputs on the A1 is for this reason it is supposed to be better with TD
Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Please help me, How did you setup your Toshiba device in order to enjoy an excellent sound and bass? I am gonna put my own now.