Xbox 360 HD DVD drive for PC HELP! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 AM

Default Xbox 360 HD DVD drive for PC HELP!

My Toshiba XA2 player died recently I cannot find any place that will fix it. I'm really p'ed about it!! So, with that being said, I am considering buying the Xbox HD DVD drive to hook up to my PC. I see quite a few listings on Amazon, but most say it doesn't come with any of the cables...My question, do I need anything else beside a standard USB cable to hook it up to my computer? I have about 200 movies, and also would like to try to upload the movies to my hard drive in hopes of using one of the software programs to TRY to convert them and burn them as Blu Ray (I have a new Blu reader/burner I just installed and have DVD FAB 9 to back up Blu Ray movies)

Can I do this, or would I be wasting my time? Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:29 AM

A standard USB cable would be all that you need to physically hook it up to your computer, but you would also need the drivers to allow the computer to read the drive. I needed to download them for XP, but I believe that Vista on include the drivers, but I'm not 100% certain there. Your other option would be going for one of the LG internal combo drives, such as the LG GGC-H20L, but they don't seem as easy to acquire, or a Toshiba hd dvd disk drive.

Next, you would need a program to rip the files to your hard drive, such as AnyDVD or makemkv. Then additional steps to burn to Blu-ray that I'm not certain of.

I myself have ripped my wife's HD DVD movies and just compress them to smaller mkv files and keep them on our server, and she can watch them on the popcorn hour devices we have throughout the house. It's not a fast process, but being we only have ~10 chick flick movies on HD DVD, it wasn't an overly huge job. I can't see doing the whole 250 movie collection though, but that's just me.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 PM

It's a fairly simple process to convert HD DVDs to Blu-ray with NO compression by using a few programs.

You need AnyDVD HD running in the background, but I believe their are free alternatives to this program like DVDFab Passkey.

Use TSmuxer to add the video and audio files and mux them together (select "Blu-ray disc as the output format).

Then use Imgburn (or similar) program to burn the muxed output onto disc.

The result is an exact 1:1 copy of the movie on Blu-ray disc.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:06 AM

Thanks very much for the info! I still need an HD DVD drive, right?...I searched high and low for one online, the few I found were very used and they wanted well over a hundred dollars...If the drive was brand new maybe, but not on pre owned hardware. I am going to try to obtain that Xbox HD DVD drive, I think I can get one for under $50.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed081873 View Post
Thanks very much for the info! I still need an HD DVD drive, right?...I searched high and low for one online, the few I found were very used and they wanted well over a hundred dollars...If the drive was brand new maybe, but not on pre owned hardware. I am going to try to obtain that Xbox HD DVD drive, I think I can get one for under $50.
I have one in the box still that I was keeping as a collector's item. I used it maybe 3 times.....I may be interested in selling it. I'm in Canada though.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
I have one in the box still that I was keeping as a collector's item. I used it maybe 3 times.....I may be interested in selling it. I'm in Canada though.
If you decide that you want to sell it, keep me in mind. Maybe we can decide on a fair price. I don't want to buy yours if you really want to keep it, but if you decide, let me know!

I see a few Xbox HD DVD drives popping up on Amazon now.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed081873 View Post
If you decide that you want to sell it, keep me in mind. Maybe we can decide on a fair price. I don't want to buy yours if you really want to keep it, but if you decide, let me know!

I see a few Xbox HD DVD drives popping up on Amazon now.
I snatched up an Xbox HD DVD drive for $20 on Amazon...however, if you do decide to sell your drive, let me know as I am interested in an Internal HD DVD drive. I just bought the Xbox drive because it was so cheap!