What I'd like to see for CES 2007 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-15-2006, 01:04 PM

Default What I'd like to see for CES 2007

I think CES 2007 is going to be a big coming out party for HD DVD. CES 2006 was very important for HD DVD. While everyone saw mockup Blu-Ray players playing video from hard drives we got the opportunity to pre-order the first players.

I expect more goodness to come January 2007. Here's what I'd like to see.

1. At least 3 new vendors. I'd like to see something like

Onkyo bringing in a high end unit at about $999
RCA bringing in a $399 unit
LG making a $499 unit

I'd like to see HP deliver their HD DVD enabled HTPC. I'd like to see Lionsgate and Disney announce future support for HD DVD (which I think both will but not necessarily at CES 2007).

I'd like to see Apple computer announce HD DVD options for Macbook Pro computers.

I'd like to see the DVD Forum announce that over a half million players are available worldwide.

And last but not least I'd like to have at least one company commit to working on a Universal player that supports both HD DVD and Blu-Ray

Last edited by hmurchison; 10-15-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:06 AM

I will be there as well. Eager to see what we learn about HD-DVD.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:41 PM

I'd like to see full HDMI 1.3 integration into TV's, HD players and Audio products. I'd like to see Home theater receivers with built in decoders for TrueHD, DD+, DTS HD and the like. Oh, and more support for HD DVD throughout the industry.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

I'd like to see some Amps/Receivers that have HDMI v1.3 functionality. A lot more important than having it in a TV imo.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
I'd like to see some Amps/Receivers that have HDMI v1.3 functionality. A lot more important than having it in a TV imo.
Agreed. I see little point in HDMI 1.3 in TV's for at least the next few years. We need revievers with 1.3 w/ improved HDCP handshaking and decoding support for ALL of the next gen codex.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:33 PM

I just want to see some more hardware support, if for no other reason than to shut up the critics that are complaining that the CE industry doesn't believe in HD-DVD.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
I just want to see some more hardware support, if for no other reason than to shut up the critics that are complaining that the CE industry doesn't believe in HD-DVD.
People only see what they want to see.

Companies that are shipping or announced support for HD DVD.

Asus
Acer
Fujitsu Siemens
Samsung
HP
Niveus Media
Toshiba
RCA
NEC
LG
Liteon
Microsoft

By CES 2007's end I expect this list will be above 30 companies.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
People only see what they want to see.

Companies that are shipping or announced support for HD DVD.

Asus
Acer
Fujitsu Siemens
Samsung
HP
Niveus Media
Toshiba
RCA
NEC
LG
Liteon
Microsoft

By CES 2007's end I expect this list will be above 30 companies.
No, people only see what's available. Toshiba and rebadged Toshiba's under the RCA name don't inspire a lot of confidence. When is the Liteon model coming out? Last I read LG is Blu-ray only again. Is Samsung really going to put out an HD DVD player? Quite frankly that list of manufacturers is depressing. I'd love it if Onkyo, Denon, or heck even Pioneer put out an HD DVD player or a dual format player early next year. As it stands the big name hardware support is behind Blu-ray. With HD DVD discs outselling BDs 3 to 1 one would think some of the hardware companies behind BD would give HD DVD a shot and put out their own player but sadly nothing seems to be coming.

I hope CES brings us a lot of good surprises... more brandname hardware support as well as Lions Gate and Disney support.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:27 PM

Liteon's coming out March 2007
HP will have HD DVD enabled laptops and a media centre device
LG has a laptop with HD DVD just like Samsung despite their BD STB offerings

I'm thinking that Onkyo might announce a HD DVD product next year. Denon seems to want to flog upscaling DVDs and wring the last bit of blood from that turnip.

I really don't expect much in the way of announcements until CES 2007. The die for Xmas 2006 has been cast. Toshiba has gained a lot of credibility for handling their launch. The movie attachrates and positive buzz is going to carry through 2007 and I expect more studios and CE vendors are returning their calls now.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
Liteon's coming out March 2007
It would be nice if there was some more heavy-weight support for HD-DVD players come CES though. That Lite-On looks ugly!