Is the Samsung that much better in Upscaling? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-28-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Is the Samsung that much better in Upscaling?

I just purchased yesterday the Panasonic new blu-ray player, and am wondering if the upscaling of regular dvd's is that much better? Does anyone know what the Panasonic and Samsung use for this?

I purchased the Panasonic because it came with 5 free movies and 5 more as a rebate, and for the readyness of DTS-HD and Dolby True HD. What are some of the differences in these two players? Does anyone know what the upscaling feature will be like on the upcoming Samsung 1400?
Old 07-28-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTWISTER View Post
I just purchased yesterday the Panasonic new blu-ray player, and am wondering if the upscaling of regular dvd's is that much better? Does anyone know what the Panasonic and Samsung use for this?

I purchased the Panasonic because it came with 5 free movies and 5 more as a rebate, and for the readyness of DTS-HD and Dolby True HD. What are some of the differences in these two players? Does anyone know what the upscaling feature will be like on the upcoming Samsung 1400?

On the Samsung BD-P1200, it has the Reon processor, also known as the HQV processor. It upscales my regular dvd's to very good quality, much better than my old regular "upconverting" dvd player, which was the Panasonic DVD-S97, which had very good reviews. The only other HD or Blu ray player on the market to have this processor is the Toshiba HD-AX2. The new 3rd generation BD-P1400 WILL NOT have the Reon processor, but the BD-P2400 WILL HAVE the Reon processor.The new 3rd generation DUAL FORMAT Samsung BD-UP5000 will also have the Reon processor.

As far as the Panasonic upconverting processor, I don't know. But as I mentioned earlier, currently only the Toshiba HD-AX2 and Samsung BD-P1200 have that ( Reon / HQV ) processor which is the best out there at this time.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Well, this changes things

Thanks Ferrari Fan....After reading about this processor for the last few hours on the Samsung, and that their newest model will have it (the more expensive one, but not by much), I think I might return the Panasonic, I have over 1500 dvd's in my library and of course want the best upconverter, as I am a big classic fan and many of those will take years and years to reach blu-ray. But that means with my return time on this Panasonic in 30 days, and since the 2400 won't be released until October, that will be over a month without. Maybe I will just hook up my old Sony dvd player until then. I purchased the Panasonic only becaude it was DTS HD ready and the new Dolby formats, but now the new Samsungs will be. I am going to have to check the Panasonic uses what processor, I'll make a post when I find out.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:58 PM

what is the bd-j 1.1? I don't know much about this. Also, do you know if the Samsung 1200 can and will be able to upgrade via firmware for Dolby true and DTS hd? There's a big arguement over at a/v forums, so I don't know. I think I might just keep my Panasonic and wait until the new Samsung 3rd generation with the roen processor comes out in October. That will be dts hd and dolby true-ready.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTWISTER View Post
what is the bd-j 1.1? I don't know much about this. Also, do you know if the Samsung 1200 can and will be able to upgrade via firmware for Dolby true and DTS hd?

I don't want to comint on BD Java as I'll probably screw it up As far as Samsung upgrading to Dolby true & DTS HDMA via firmware updates, I've heard that's it's possible with the components that are in the 1200 and I've heard it's not possible. Samsung issued one firmware update so far, and I believe that it was to fix problems playing both of The Pirates of the Carribean movies.

Samsung has not fixed the widely know issue of 24fps using the analog PCM lip sync issue....yet. If you're tv / monitor / projector can't do 24fps, then no worries there. But my Pioneer Elite PRO-FHD1 can do 24 fps and it would be nice to see that fixed on the 1200. Personally, for me, I'm happy with the audio formats the 1200 can put out. I absoutly love the analog 5.1 PCM....it sounds more fuller and spacious than DD or DTS. Also, my reciever does not have HDMI inputs, so at this time, the newer audio formats wouldn't be of any use to me until I get a new reciever, and that may be a few years away.

Some folks believe that Samsung won't be paying too much attention to firmware updates for the 1200 due to their 3rd generation players coming out in the next few months. Some have said that Samsungs approach to firmware fixes / updates is a reaction to problems instead of a proaction in advance of problems. Samsung knows we want the new audio formats, but will they do anything is anybodys guess.

For me, I'm very satisified with my 1200. The picture is first in class among all Blu ray players currently out on the market, both in HD and sd dvd upconversion quality. I just wish / hope that Samsung fixes the 24 fps lip sync issue.....SOON.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Banned

why is this in the HDDVD forum???
Old 07-29-2007, 08:04 PM

not sure why VC-1. I never noticed that, I just did a search on the Samsung. Ferrari fan: I too read that their upgrades won't be pro-active to add new features but to fix older problems. It would be real sad if Samsung expected those who own the 1200 to buy the new player this fall. As for the 24fps issue, that's a shame, since 3 weeks ago I purchased an Epson 1080 projector that handles 24fps. I am not sure if the Panasonic handles it. Have you seen the new Denon coming out (blu-ray player)? There are 2, one is going to be the premium player on the market that handles even DTS master audio. Wow, just kind of expensive.