PLEASE HELP!! Xbox 360 resolution question !!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-27-2007, 01:45 AM

Default PLEASE HELP!! Xbox 360 resolution question !!!

my 360 has been broken, so i tried my luck 1 more time (to be sure its broken) and luckely it work, i got a new LCD tv, so i hooked it up via VGA.

I got VGA because it said it supported native 1080p for HD DVD movies, so when the 360 ran up, the picture was HORRIBLE, i changed it to 1080p (1920 x 1080), then my TV said "unsported signal - please change VGA signal" and my tv is a sony 1080p !!!! but the video still worked even though it didnt even look like HD

I tried 1080p and watched a bit of King Kong, to sum it up it looked HORRIBLE, even worse then a dvd version, i changed the setting top 720p and still pretty bad (but a bit better)

I plugged in my Xbox 360 Componnent cables (the old ones that came with my 360) and they worked, i changed the resolution to 1080p (i thought only VGA could support that!!??) and it was a black screen, it went back to 480p, i then changed it to 1080i. Watched King Kong, a lot better then VGA, but didnt look like King Kong on HD DVD (the best HD Disk) looked more of a upconverted DVD.

so can anyone help me out!! is my 360 still broken ?? Is my VGA broken ?? Does my TV not support full VGA ?? Does component do 1080p ??

ANY HELP would be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:12 AM

i had this situation when i first got my vga cord. i have the xbr2 and when i tried to hook up the vga to my 1080p tv, it got that fuzzy look where you can't see anything at all because it wasn't supported at the time. after a update, it was fixed. is the vga cord the official one? do you have all the current updates?

the 360 only outputs up to 1080i through component cables. it can output up to 1080p through vga on the regular 360s, and up to 1080p through hdmi and vga on the elites.

i'd say watch hd dvd through component (1080i) if you can't figure out the vga cord.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsho01 View Post
i had this situation when i first got my vga cord. i have the xbr2 and when i tried to hook up the vga to my 1080p tv, it got that fuzzy look where you can't see anything at all because it wasn't supported at the time. after a update, it was fixed. is the vga cord the official one? do you have all the current updates?

the 360 only outputs up to 1080i through component cables. it can output up to 1080p through vga on the regular 360s, and up to 1080p through hdmi and vga on the elites.

i'd say watch hd dvd through component (1080i) if you can't figure out the vga cord.
thanks for the answer. but i have the V series not XBR (if it makes a difference), and i think i have the updates, ill double check tommorow.

Yes the VGA is from Microsoft and its new. just to check, when you first tried the VGA on the TV (without updates) did the 1080p work ?? mine works but its blury and really bad quality and the tv says "unsported signal" even thought it works but it is clearly not HD
Old 07-27-2007, 06:02 AM

I think the latest update was in may, i downloaded it and burnt it onto a disk from here:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...r/download.htm
Old 07-27-2007, 06:05 AM

not being funny, but are you positive your new tv supports 1080p?
(although the picture should still look fantastic on 720p.)
I had issues with vga, made the picture look very flat and dull, i found the picture via component was far more dynamic, with much better contrast and depth.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
thanks for the answer. but i have the V series not XBR (if it makes a difference), and i think i have the updates, ill double check tommorow.

Yes the VGA is from Microsoft and its new. just to check, when you first tried the VGA on the TV (without updates) did the 1080p work ?? mine works but its blury and really bad quality and the tv says "unsported signal" even thought it works but it is clearly not HD
yeah which "v-xxxx" tv do you have? i know that some of the "v-series" tvs supported 1080p, but only through hdmi. so i'm not sure if 1080p is supported through vga for you. on the the xbr2, vga is supported up to 1080p for me.

as i said before, vga didn't work at first on my tv. it was blurry and i couldn't use vga. apparently it was a conspiracy that microsoft vga cables weren't working on SONY capable 1080p tvs. but that was just speculation when i first got my tv and sony people were complaining about this issue.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Ed View Post
not being funny, but are you positive your new tv supports 1080p?
(although the picture should still look fantastic on 720p.)
I had issues with vga, made the picture look very flat and dull, i found the picture via component was far more dynamic, with much better contrast and depth.
ye, its a 1080p tv, i us my PS3 and it works pefect with 1080p.
and when i use the vga and use other resolutions (1080i ect.) the picture is still not even 1080i (HD).
Old 07-27-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsho01 View Post
yeah which "v-xxxx" tv do you have? i know that some of the "v-series" tvs supported 1080p, but only through hdmi. so i'm not sure if 1080p is supported through vga for you. on the the xbr2, vga is supported up to 1080p for me.

as i said before, vga didn't work at first on my tv. it was blurry and i couldn't use vga. apparently it was a conspiracy that microsoft vga cables weren't working on SONY capable 1080p tvs. but that was just speculation when i first got my tv and sony people were complaining about this issue.
Its a Sony Bravia KDL-46V2500 and even when i turn the setting on for example "1360 x 768" the image is still really bad and worse then component.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:40 PM

I also have the Sony KDL-46V2500 and am using VGA cables to hook up the 360 to it.

I also get the "Unsupported Signal - Adjust PC Output" message on the screen every time I turn my 360 on, but this message just goes away with any key press on the TV remote (volume, display, or whatever).

What I did to get rid of the fuzziness was to go to
Menu > Settings > PC Settings on your display, and set the Phase, Pitch, Horiz and Vert all to zero. If this does not work, try clicking on the Auto Adjustment button before you reset everything to zero (Dunno why this works, but it works for me -- you may have to perform auto adjustment more that once as well).

Once you get rid of the fuzziness, it is just a matter of tweaking your display, and sad to say, there isn't really much you can do with the regards to tweaking the display settings for the VGA input of this TV.

My current display settings are:

Display Mode: Text
Backlight: 4
Picture: 98
Brightness: 44
Color Temp: Neutral

Power Management: Off

My 360 Display is set to "Expanded" mode, and display output is set to 1920x1080

Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings5504 View Post
I also have the Sony KDL-46V2500 and am using VGA cables to hook up the 360 to it.

I also get the "Unsupported Signal - Adjust PC Output" message on the screen every time I turn my 360 on, but this message just goes away with any key press on the TV remote (volume, display, or whatever).

What I did to get rid of the fuzziness was to go to
Menu > Settings > PC Settings on your display, and set the Phase, Pitch, Horiz and Vert all to zero. If this does not work, try clicking on the Auto Adjustment button before you reset everything to zero (Dunno why this works, but it works for me -- you may have to perform auto adjustment more that once as well).

Once you get rid of the fuzziness, it is just a matter of tweaking your display, and sad to say, there isn't really much you can do with the regards to tweaking the display settings for the VGA input of this TV.

My current display settings are:

Display Mode: Text
Backlight: 4
Picture: 98
Brightness: 44
Color Temp: Neutral

Power Management: Off

My 360 Display is set to "Expanded" mode, and display output is set to 1920x1080

Hope this helps.
thanks a lot man. i tried what you said and it acutally worked, but this time the fuzziness was gone from the begining. i turned all the phase ect to zero after doing a coup of auto adujstments.

it says its 1920 x 1080/ 60HZ on my tv,

I havnt tried any games/hd dvd's. but does the quality change over a 1080i Component ??

Thanks again