Toshiba Firmware update problem - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-27-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Toshiba Firmware update problem

Help!
Ive just been trying to update the firmware on my Toshiba HD DVD player. Im doing it through a broadband connection, and follow all the instructions in the setup.
When it begins to download, it shows on the players display a count up to 38. But whenever it gets to up to 36, almost done, the internet activity seems to stop and I get a message saying it couldnt find the server.
Can anyone help me with this?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:41 AM

Ive looked through that thread, and tried everything I could find. Ive re-initialized the player and retried the download several times. Ive tried downloading with it plugged directly into the modem, and tried downloading with it connected through a router. Whatever I try, its always the same result. When it gets up to 36 of 38 in its download, it seems to loose its net connection, and comes up with a message saying cant locate server.
I downloaded the update, but I dont have a program to burn it like the instructions on toshibas site says. Can anyone point me to a free download for one so that I Can try that, or suggest something else?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:44 AM

You should set the clock and the date first, then set your DHCP and DNS, reboot your player then try to connect.

Setting your date and clock is important.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:44 AM

How important is it to update the players firmware? I just purchased the E1 (A1). Should I update the firmware straight away?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:18 PM

IT WORKS! I ended up downloading and burning the firmware to disc and running that, but its all finally working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb View Post
How important is it to update the players firmware? I just purchased the E1 (A1). Should I update the firmware straight away?
I have the A20 Toshiba HD DVD player, and it worked fine with most HD movies. The only noticed a problem when I tried to watch the 3rd Matrix movie and it came up with an error. I had no idea what the error was untill I did a search on it in google and got advice to update the firmware. Once I did that, it worked fine.

The other reason is apparently for online content that some discs will have. From what Ive heard, if you plan to buy the 300 HD DVD, you will want to update it as that is going to have massive amounts of online content, for which you will need to update the firmware to use.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:05 PM

I will update my Hd-e1 player when they do something with the usb ports. Like connecting a usb wifi stick into it. My living room will look very messy with a very long wire attache to it.

Anybody knows what those "extension" ports are capable of?