Video imperfections on HD DVD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 PM

Question Video imperfections on HD DVD?

Hi there,

I have some questions regarding PQ on HDDVD. I live in Spain, where the firsts players began to arrived just a few weeks ago. I watched a couple of minutes of the hddvd version of King Kong on a Sony LCD screen (conected via HDMI) and i wasnt very impress. To be fair, the demo was at a showroom of a electronics dealer. I know is not the best enviroment for testing, but since we are talking hddvd here i was expecting to be blown away. That was not the case. I mean at the very least hddvd have to be better than sd dvd, no matter what the showroom conditions.

I have to say that the PQ was satisfaying but far from what i was expecting. What call my attention the most was an alarming - and i do mean alarming - amount of banding, even to the point of some mild macroblocking (it was on the night scenes where the boat aproaches Skull Island). I was totally shock and felt a great letdown. After all the internet reading and image comparisons, i thought that kind of video no-nos will be a thing of the past, but they were there, right on the screen.

Daytime scenes fare much better. There was no aliasing whatsoever - i was very please with that one -, sharpness was ok, nothing to write home about. Altough, that was the fault of a horrible calibration in the monitor, i think. No edge enhancement that i could discern, very nice too. Fabric textures, fine detail on objects, skin detail, etc. very very good. In general the film like experience was highly enjoyable, but not perfect.
Now my question is : Was i subject of a subpar demo or the video imperfections of SDDVD still have an unwelcome rol on HD? I have high expectations for HDDVD and my first experience was nice, but not convincing enough. Even to the point of thinking that its not worth making the jump right now.

Can you share your experiences on the subject? Thanks

PD: Please, excuse my poor english.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:39 PM

Try HD DVD with a 1080p display and if you are not impressed, you will not be impressed by Blyray either

We all have examples of bad demos. This goes for both formats. This has nothing to do with HD DVD or Bluray as a format - they have both impressive PQ an AQ and can not be compared to SD DVD!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:54 PM

So the macroblocking and the banding are not format related and the fail of the LCD monitor?

Can you tell me if the video imperfections we are so used to in SDDVD are, indeed, a no show in both HD formats?
Old 12-28-2006, 06:00 PM

What HD DVD player was demoing? 1080i out is often so and so with a 720p display - if that was yhe case.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:50 PM

It was the Toshiba HD E1. The Sony LCD im pretty sure was a 768P model, but the resolution the player was set up to i cannot tell, im afraid. Acording to specs it is limited to 1080I.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:12 AM

I have HD DVD and I have not seen a problem like that. there most have been something wrong with the TV. maybe too much sharpness applied.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:56 AM

before people jump here and slit your throat, your not alone. and first, your english is just fine my friend.

Now, in terms, it can be many things. It could be a faulty player, faulty tv, faulty cords or possibly a bad transfer as ive never seen Kong on HD-DVD.

Now when I first saw Blu-ray, it was when I had purchesed X-Men 3 on DVD. I took it to our Best Buy store, put it on the Pioneer Blu-ray player on a Pioneer Elite Plasma (best equipment around) and I didnt notice anything.

Once, I took the movie home in my PS3, hooked it up to my TV with great cables and then put in the movie in via DVD and started to notice the differences.

having said that, welcome to the forums but dont think your wrong, it very well could have looked crappy. HD-DVD isnt perfect. Nor is Blu-ray but they are normally way nicer then DVD but you might be expecting what I was expecting, for it to almost be 3D.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the comments guys

Maybe i was way to eager to find the Holy Grail of digital video and expect too much. The good thing is that both formats are giving their first steps, so is a matter of little time to find more refine players and better encoding on the discs.

I dont care much about the format war since both are, acording to reviews, pretty similar en terms of picture and sound quality. So if one or the other wins, you still have a high quality format. If both wins, i have no problem in purchasing the two when the price become affordable to such an endevour.

The only problem is that i have quite a keen eye to detect video imperfections on SDDVD, even when im not looking for them ( do you have a similar experience?). The only advantage that regular tv sets (tube) have over plasma or lcd is that it tend to masquerade these imperfections. I bought a plasma a few months ago (Panasonic 768P) and the PQ i get from my Oppo 970HD is fantastic, if the disk is properly encoded. Plasma is a technology i truly love ,but it can be merciless with a poorly encoded transfer (the same goes for the Oppo). When i do find penaltys on the video (which is now very often, im sorry to say) they take me completely out of the cinema feel DVD can give when is done right. And is driving me nuts...

Anyhow, things are looking good on hd, so lets check the bank account...

PD i thought my english was rusty and rough, but it seems not so much. Thanks
Old 12-29-2006, 01:45 PM

I'd have to believe there was something wrong with the setup. King Kong is acknowledged as one of the best transfers arounds.