Upcoming HD Players - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-28-2006, 01:11 AM

Default Upcoming HD Players

Does anyone know if the upcoming HD DVD Players will feature multiple DVD capability, as far as being able to hold 3-5 at a time and be able to keep a resume play back for movies like the old Sony's did?

Also, does the 1080p that the new Toshiba XA2 display quite a difference over the previous ones at 1080i?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_connery View Post
Does anyone know if the upcoming HD DVD Players will feature multiple DVD capability, as far as being able to hold 3-5 at a time and be able to keep a resume play back for movies like the old Sony's did?

Also, does the 1080p that the new Toshiba XA2 display quite a difference over the previous ones at 1080i?
I just purchased the Toshiba HD-A2 which only supports 1080i output even though the XA2 release is imminent. Why? All three of my HDTVs only support 1080i input even though one of them, the larger Samsung DLP, is a "1080p" set. Since I'm not planning to upgrade my HDTVs any time soon, I didn't want to 1) wait and 2) pay the extra money for true 1080p which I couldn't use in the next year or so. Plus, I didn't want to encourage Toshiba to sell expensive hardware. The XA2 is priced like a Blu-ray player, and we don't need more economics like that.

As to the quality, unless you have an HDTV that accepts 1080p input, e.g. one with HDMI 1.3 support, you're not going to notice any difference. And AFAIK, there aren't any sets available yet with that support. But I could be wrong. You're basically investing in the future if you buy an XA2. Your call if you want to do that. I didn't.

In spite of all that, can you tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p? I have no idea. My guess is that it might be more noticeable with high-motion content. How noticeable is also debatable. Often these things vary from person to person.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:05 AM

The XA2 is rumored to have a much more expensive processing chip based on the Silicon Optix Reon VX. If this is the case then expect superlative results. I'm also reading that there are more video parameters that can be tweaked. Here's data on the Reon VX

http://www.siliconoptix.com/chipProducts/ReonVX
Old 12-28-2006, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
The XA2 is rumored to have a much more expensive processing chip based on the Silicon Optix Reon VX. If this is the case then expect superlative results. I'm also reading that there are more video parameters that can be tweaked. Here's data on the Reon VX

http://www.siliconoptix.com/chipProducts/ReonVX
Good. The XA2 would need more than just 1080p circuitry to justify that price. Although I'm not sure what kind of additional image processing you need.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:03 AM

They need to come up with a working resume play, its such a basic tick in the box, I can't believe its been over looked.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:51 PM

I agree, they'll have to come up with something better than 1080p and a lower profile to wrestle my HD-A1 from me