HELP - My Toshiba HD-DVD player has died - Any thoughts... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-23-2007, 07:16 PM

Default HELP - My Toshiba HD-DVD player has died - Any thoughts...

I am now having this issue with my Toshiba HD-XE1 (the UK version of the XA2). It seems that I cannot get the HD-DVD player and my TV to "handshake". Please read on and let me know if you have experienced this or know of a cure. Thanks.

I have been very VERY happy with my XE1 and have used it successfully and without major issues since purchase. It always worked fine (except for the occassional lip synch issue and combo issue). The picture was superb, the sound was great and it played everything that I put in the machine (pretty much). I know that some others had some problems but I was lucky enough to escape those problems... or so I thought.

Last night I tried to play some new HD-DVD's ("Streets Of Fire", "The Shooter") and I couldn't get my TV (a Sim2 55 inch rear-projection DLP monitor) and the HD-XE1 to "handshake" via HDMI. This had never been a problem before until I upgraded the Toshiba player to firmware 2.0 (using a disc that Toshiba supplied). Since upgrading to firmware 2.0 my player has been very VERY quirky and seems to have now died. I cannot get a picture via HDMI at all.

I tried again tonight ("Bourne Identity") and once again the TV and HD-XE1 failed to "handshake". Turning one or both appliances off and on made no difference. Changing the order I turned them off or on didn't help either. Neither did swapping HDMI cables which made no difference. My TV still works with ALL my other source appliances (DVD player, VCR, TV signal etc), just NOT the Toshiba HD-XE1. I have read on several forums that other people have experienced HDMI handshake 'issues' and other quirks since the firmware 2.0 upgrade. This is obviously a similar problem.

The player is only a few months old and it is frustrating and annoying that I cannot use it AT ALL. Also, I think Toshiba should check their firmware updates in future. On this occassion it seems that the upgrade has made a perfectly fine player into a doorstop. Not only this "handshake" issue but I have had other weird issues since upgrading to firmware 2.0 (like Weinstein discs freezing up, jerky juddery picture, etc etc).

Please does anyone know anything about these "handshake" issues or shall I just get Toshiba to change it ? Thanks for your input and help. Cheers.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:26 PM

Have you tried using component video inputs?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddywags View Post
Have you tried using component video inputs?
No I haven't as I don't have any component cables and a spare component input. Any ideas what is wrong ? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders1 View Post
No I haven't as I don't have any component cables and a spare component input. Any ideas what is wrong ? Thanks.
Certain firmware versions seem to introduce HDMI handshake issues for different displays. Do you have the disk for the previous version? I'm not that with the XE1/XA2, I have the XA1, but I beleive it was 1.8? Try reverting back, but you'll need to able to see the display to revert back - can you run a composite cable? When you insert a disk with a previous version of firmware, the LED will say "verup" for version up. On the TV display you see "Proceed Anyway?" with buttons for "Yes" or "No". The default is "NO", you need to use the right < toggle button to change to "Yes" and then press enter.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Certain firmware versions seem to introduce HDMI handshake issues for different displays. Do you have the disk for the previous version? I'm not that with the XE1/XA2, I have the XA1, but I beleive it was 1.8? Try reverting back, but you'll need to able to see the display to revert back - can you run a composite cable? When you insert a disk with a previous version of firmware, the LED will say "verup" for version up. On the TV display you see "Proceed Anyway?" with buttons for "Yes" or "No". The default is "NO", you need to use the right < toggle button to change to "Yes" and then press enter.
Thanks, I have contacted Toshiba and they are gonna take it back and investigate it with their engineers. Will keep you posted.