3rd Generation HD-DVD Players - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-22-2007, 01:10 PM

Default 3rd Generation HD-DVD Players

Morning!

Am thinking very seriously about taking the plunge and getting HD-DVD. I'm currently a BLU-Ray owner. I don't want to get the current player if there is a new one coming very soon. I'm willing to wait a short while if necessay. I'm looking at the HD-XA2 model.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thxs!

Eric
Old 07-22-2007, 03:52 PM

the XA2 is very good machine from what I read, it is the player I would get if i could afford it for sure

as far as third gen players go, i have not heard anything regarding those as of yet from toshiba
Old 07-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

Get the XA-2 or XA-1

3rd gen players won't be out till next spring at least. That's a pretty long wait. But the dual format players may be out this christmas, but that's kinda useless for you unless you wanna sell your bluray stand alone.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:45 PM

HD DVD players aren't like blu-ray players which are still not finalized.

just get HD-XA2.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:35 PM

i've had the xa2 for 3 months now and it produces an amazing picture for upscaling and hd. it uses the Silicon Optix Reon HQV processing which is also in the new high end recievers from onkyo tx-sr875 and tx-nr95 which will sell for $1700 to 2100 anyways its a steal for the features it has and can find around $599 or less it you keep and eye out for it...i got mine on amazon about $550 worth every penny....its very easy to upgrade firmware to so it will keep upto date with any new features that come out....thats one cool thing with hd dvd and toshiba once you buy a unit your in.....
Old 07-23-2007, 03:29 AM

Are there any reports yet on the Samsung dual format player that is due out sometime soon-ish? Any pictures of it?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifilaser View Post
Morning!

Am thinking very seriously about taking the plunge and getting HD-DVD. I'm currently a BLU-Ray owner. I don't want to get the current player if there is a new one coming very soon. I'm willing to wait a short while if necessay. I'm looking at the HD-XA2 model.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thxs!

Eric
Go with the XA2....great machine!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
Are there any reports yet on the Samsung dual format player that is due out sometime soon-ish? Any pictures of it?
No real information yet, expected to carry a severely steep price tag though. Reportedly more expensive than buying the lower end stand alones seperately.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRox View Post
No real information yet, expected to carry a severely steep price tag though. Reportedly more expensive than buying the lower end stand alones seperately.
I read it will be cheaper than the LG combo, and if it's a nice high end player with full spec HD DVD and blu-ray playback, HD audio decoding with analogue audio output and nice DVD upscaling then I'll be very tempted.

I'm not averse to spending a lot on a bit of kit if it ticks *all* the boxes and will be something I'll keep for many years. My first DVD player cost me close to £1000 (about $2000 with the current exchange rate) and it lasted me for about 4 years and gave outstanding service.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:21 PM

Thxs to all, I'll keep looking around for a short while. My friend at Magnolia AV said he wouldn't be surprised to see something at CEDIA (Denver). If not, XA2 it is. As far as the Dual Samsung, I read, November-ish. I may way to check that out, as it's suppose to be BD-J & HD-I compatible, as well a Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Lossless compatible too. The price I seem to recall was around $799.00.

Again, thanks to all who have responded so far.

Eric